K&N Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 07:42 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N Questions

Hi guys,
I have a question regarding the K&N air filters. I want to replace my stock air box with a K&N cone filter in the headlight corner like mentioned above. Is there a kit I can buy or do i just basically installed a K&N filter with a 3" inlet onto the MAF. I was looking at purchasing this Kit from 9xauto Air Velocity. (ebay link, can't link to specific item on their site cause of the frames.) Is this gonna work right or is ther other better methods?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to get a cone filter. Don't spend 100$ on it.
You can do like i did, buy a less expensive kit for an other car or truck that uses a AFM. And modify the adapter to fit the 951 AFM.
I got one of e-bay for 10$ last year for a 89-95 toyota 4runner.
I only 2 mods i had to make where: 1-drilling 2 new holes to match all 4 holes to the AFM. 2-gasket match the inside of the adapter to the AFM to incress flow.
10$ kit
Or with a real k&n filter35$ kit

Adding a cone filter over the rad is not a big power gainner if at all.
So i suggest not to spen too much on it.
You may here the turbo a bit more but not much.

Old 07-17-2003, 09:21 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for responding Edman951,
But i want to put the K&N in the front near the headlight, like in one of your pictures on your site.

Theroetically this will suck cold air from the outside and not warm/hot air that has just passed thru the rad and intercooler.

Can you help with this?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well to do that you would have to do one of these 3 things.
1- Buy this kit from linsey. j-boot replacement kit w/ intercooler pipes. But its really expensive for the litlle to no power gains.
2- Built a custom intake pipe. Kinda like this race car. http://project951.mine.nu/images/gal...rsanden_07.jpg
3-Get a MAF or MAP kit.( this is probably what you will end up doing in the future)

But honestly, IMO.
Don't spend too much money on the stock AFM. You will not gain much power with out replacing it. So why go crazy.
So to get the max out of the stock setup just buy a k&n panel filter and with the stock box and snorkel you will get cold air and get better flow from the k&n.

But don't forget that no mater how much cold air you get from outside, the turbo will heat it back up. It's the intercoolers job to keep the air cold.

Another good way of reducing intake air temp on a turbo car is to ad either a water intercooler spray kit or nitrous spray kit.
NX intercooler spray kit

Read this good article on intercooler water spray

Hope this helps
Later.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:29 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Thanks again edman951 I'll have to see what I can come up with, my buddies are kings of jerry riggin stuff.

Really I just need something to replace the stock filter since mine is dirty as all get out.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: K&N Questions