Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lee101315
I dont treat 951 heads different than any other engine. If the head isnt true, or it has craters like the surface of the moon around the coolant passages, I send it to a machine shop and have them filled in and machined...organic or metal gasket.

I have heard of some people spraying copper gasket sealer or adding some silicone around the rectangular coolant port as a preventive measure, but Ive done a few without the extra sealant and never had a problem.
adding a little RTV at the rectangular cooling passage is a good idea on the MLS gaskets. That is a common leak point, usually just a small drip or two - but annoying anyway!

The MLS gaskets did change they way a head is prepped. In the 'good old days' the theory was to leave some machining marks on the head to allow it to 'bite' into the head gaskets. MLS gaskets want as smooth a finish as you can get.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lee101315
I dont treat 951 heads different than any other engine. If the head isnt true, or it has craters like the surface of the moon around the coolant passages, I send it to a machine shop and have them filled in and machined...organic or metal gasket.

I have heard of some people spraying copper gasket sealer or adding some silicone around the rectangular coolant port as a preventive measure, but Ive done a few without the extra sealant and never had a problem.
i have heard of the Copper Gasket Sealer, ive never used it or seen it used
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris White
adding a little RTV at the rectangular cooling passage is a good idea on the MLS gaskets. That is a common leak point, usually just a small drip or two - but annoying anyway!

The MLS gaskets did change they way a head is prepped. In the 'good old days' the theory was to leave some machining marks on the head to allow it to 'bite' into the head gaskets. MLS gaskets want as smooth a finish as you can get.
I agree. Personally, I wont send a head to a machine shop where they leave those 'steps', and I instantly assume they have a cheap bridgeport setup. I only do german cars at my shop, and I expect a mirror surface when the cylinder head is delivered back to the shop...

Originally Posted by carlege
i have heard of the Copper Gasket Sealer, ive never used it or seen it used
Yea, me neither. Ive heard of people reusing old cometic gaskets and spraying them with copper gasket sealer for the second use... I just wouldnt take a risk on reusing a $100 head gasket. Its way too much work to do it twice
Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I used to run a copper head gasket on my turbo. Used the Hylomar sealant. I annealed and re-used that gasket 3 times and never had a problem.

Last edited by Van; 11-07-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: dumb thumbs
Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
So if what chris white said is true..... its a moot point whether the gasket is stronger or not.
Ahhh, Carlene what amI gonna do with you
Old 11-07-2013, 11:06 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by lart951
Ahhh, Carlene what amI gonna do with you
Well if you really wanna punish me you could elect me to the Bell City Council amirite?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
I used to turn a copper head gasket on my turbo. Used the Hylomar sealant. I annealed and re-used that gasket 3 times and never had a problem.
Thats good to know for the future, I never had the nads to reuse a metal head gasket
Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

O-ringing is what wide fire ring gaskets are designed for, not for use w/o o-rings.

Quick Reply: 951 problems - liquid lock