Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which direction should ICV go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which direction should ICV go?

The ICV has an arrow showing direction on it. However none of the LR vacuum line diagrams have any indication of direction of flow. Should the the ICV arrow point toward the intake manifold or toward the IC hard pipe?

TIA
Old 10-27-2013, 01:49 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Manifold

You might want to perform some searches to better educate yourself on this stuff.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:02 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Thank you.

Actually I have done searches on much of this related to what I'm doing but often find that the question I have is not answered. For example I checked Clark's for the this specific question and all it states is to make note of the direction before pulling it apart. That doesn't really help much when things are already apart. Or, just as in the case of the Venturi Delete, it just didn't make any sense to me and left me as much confused after studying it as I was before.

So thx for the patience and helping. This is all pretty new territory for me.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I am not trying to sound condescending, but the question you asked is pretty much common sense. The idle stabilisation valve controls the amount of fresh air into the manifold bypassing the throttle body as the butterfly is closed at idle. Thus flowing air from your J-boot to the manifold the arrow can only go in one direction. Everybody has to start somewhere, just keep asking lots of questions and don't make a irreversible mistake. I applaud you for digging into this yourself. You will start picking up things more rapidly the more you work on it. However, there are things with this car that takes years to learn, especially getting a perfect idle.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 PM
NM'87 951
Racer

My icv is orientated opposite of what the vacuum diagrams show it to be. Hasn't seemed to cause me any problems, but I don't remember which way my arrow is pointing.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:45 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ICV orientation:

Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

@URG8RB8 I didn't tkae what you said as condescending in the least. No worries. And now that it's all done (and the car started - WooHoo!) I could do it all MUCH faster a second time. Which I will need to do (kinda) as the rubber mounts on the ICV bracket were toast (Someone said they were called "Lord Mounts) So I will be taking the intake off again to get at the ICV and mount it securely.

It also seems it wouldn't take too much to eliminate the hard pipe cluster now that only one of the three is being used. Maybe it's my lack of engineering/automotive knowledge but the 951 engine seems to have a ridiculous amount of plumbing running all over the place. Like the whole design was an afterthought. It would be nice to clean things up.

Nonetheless thanks again to all that provided help/suggestions. I would have been screwed without the help provided by folks on this forum.

Michael
Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Name:  image-2119331939.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  528.8 KB

This is how I cleaned mine up. I wanted to keep the hard pipe that got bolted securely so I cut and ground the other 2 lines off. I wanted a cleaner look and got tired of people pointing out that I have stuff that's not hooked up
Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

that's probably a REALLY good idea particularly as I have to get this car past CA Smog this week and no doubt they will immediately see the exposed, not connected couple of pipes in front and flunk me on that alone. I guess I may be getting back to pulling the intake manifold and re-installing the ICV bracket sooner than I had anticipated!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

The bracket and the expensive rubber mounts are not necessary, the ISV will function fine without them. I would say 75% are broken off, they don't last long. I installed them on mine because I was in there. I would not pull the intake just to install them. I am not sure why LR did not make a one piece silicone pipe from the AOS to the J-boot. That is the one piece I would like to have.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 PM
travisgreen
Pro

I agree all my cars the ICV was just floatin around under there with no problems, I did replace mine tho the last time I was in there because I found a pair of new rubber mounts in a box of parts. I have no idea where they came from but I found them at a good time!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Well being that a friend hand me two lord mounts and all I have to do is stop by the hardware store for nuts and washers, it's really not a big deal. And while I agree that where the ICV is sitting and the way the couple of hoses attach its not likely its going anywhere, I would rather know that it is bolted down than not. Also as I will be installing new injectors later this week, pulling the manifold to re-install the bracket/hold-down is not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Which direction should ICV go?