Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BMW help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW help!!

I know many of you out there have a BMW too, well my father-in-law has a '95 325i conv. 5 speed and I was going to change his oil for him. Well, I was wondering of any tips of doing this. Also, I REALLY need to know how to reset the computer so it knows the oil was changed. I know they have those items out there to reset it but those are like $100 or $80 bucks to reset anything, all I need is the oil/service light. I know you just plug on that round thing on top and you can reset it but I thought I read some where that you could jump it by connecting two of the holes with each other to reset it. CAN ANYONE HELP??
Old 07-16-2003, 02:26 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The main thing you SHOULD do is to support the car on jack stands before you get underneath it.
The BMWs (at least the ones I owned in the past) use a canister that you replace the oil filter cartridge inside.

Get all the parts you need before you start the process. After that, it's an oil change.

To reset the light, spend the money and get "Reset Tool" they are about $60. You can order them from the various vendors that advertise in the Roundel (I can email you few numbers if needed). DO NOT use the "jumper the wires" method, if you short something out, you'll spend much more than the $60. And your mother in law will be ticked at you, you know what that means.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:49 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I only wish the oil filter replacement on the 944s was as easy as the 3-series cars.

There are a couple of o-rings and crush washers that will come in the filter kit. Replacement is really straightforward. Just be careful not to overtighten the bolt holding the filter cap in place.

Also, be careful when retorquing the drain pan bolt. The bolt heads are designed to shear off under too much torque to protect the threads (ask me how I know)...

I haven't bothered to reset the oil indicator in my M3. The indicator seems to recommend changes in my car way too frequently (like after 3k miles on synthetic). I've heard the jumper method works but don't know the potential ramifications of screwing it up.
This might be of use: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ce_lights.html

Quick Reply: BMW help!!