Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Performed vacuum pressure test and now I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 PM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Performed vacuum pressure test and now I have questions

Followed Vans video on you-tube and set pressure to 15lbs. Let me back up. Stock 86 with fresh rebuild. only add on is a Lindsey boost enhancer dialed back to 6lbs. Could not find any major leaks. One small one on the banjo bolt quickly rectified. Entire system does not hold pressure. I know stock waste gates are old with weak springs but would it cause me to loose all my pressure down to 5 psi fairly quickly? Now that I think of it I should have clamped the line to the waste gate but its all put back together now.

Car runs strong and boost to 11 psi no problem but does drop to 8ish by 5k. Will a manual boost controller help or once it opens will it bleed off again. The cars feels and is quick but I cannot help but think of its potential. Should I bite the bullet and go dual port and MBC?

I don't really want to give up my factory over boost protection.

Or is there something I am overlooking.

Thanks

Brian
Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's your wastegate replace it
Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 PM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
It's your wastegate replace it
Ok. If I grt a dual port can it be operated as a single port for now to keep over boost protection till later on when I add chips/MAF etc?

my current goal is to see just how good stock can be. Thx
Old 10-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did u clamp the wastegate line?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Brian,

What your describing is normal boost behavior with the stock chips. The car will boost up to 11 or so psi then bleed down to maintain 8 psi or so from the factory. The waste gate is fine, if you don't believe me clamp off the boost control line to the wastegate and carefully get into boost, you'll over boost quite quickly.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by BTERRY1
Followed Vans video on you-tube and set pressure to 15lbs. Let me back up. Stock 86 with fresh rebuild. only add on is a Lindsey boost enhancer dialed back to 6lbs. Could not find any major leaks. One small one on the banjo bolt quickly rectified. Entire system does not hold pressure. I know stock waste gates are old with weak springs but would it cause me to loose all my pressure down to 5 psi fairly quickly? Now that I think of it I should have clamped the line to the waste gate but its all put back together now.

Car runs strong and boost to 11 psi no problem but does drop to 8ish by 5k. Will a manual boost controller help or once it opens will it bleed off again. The cars feels and is quick but I cannot help but think of its potential. Should I bite the bullet and go dual port and MBC?

I don't really want to give up my factory over boost protection.

Or is there something I am overlooking.

Thanks

Brian

Quick Reply: Performed vacuum pressure test and now I have questions