Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Stage II Write up

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003 | 06:16 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Talking Vitesse Stage II Write up

Well this post got lost in the carry over to the new forums, but I had gotten quite a few emails and such asking for the write up, so here we go again.

I guess the best place to start would be the components of the kit and the packaging they arrived in. We have had quite a few issues on the board with the quality of packaging. I wish i had taken picture of how everything arrived, but every item was packed with more than enough padding, the turbo was so well packed that I'm using its packaging to send my old turbo out o another rennlister. The intake piping was welded with a higher level of car and sill than I've seen on other 951 kits and the fit was perfect.

To spice things up here is a shot of the turbo that came with the kit: This is the stage II kit, with the lightweight internals for a quicker spool up....

Well at this point I have all my parts out and its time to start the install, this is where is time to stop and read the instructions and make sure you are preped for the install. The Turbo part of the install is your typical turbo PITA, I hate some of the bolts with a passion, but is farily strait forward, you will have to bend the water pipe and I had to file down the turbo a little, but that is the same as any big turbo for our cars.... After you get through the slow and sometimes painfull process of getting the turbo reinstalled its time to tackle the wiring for the piggyback. The detailed instructions are very good, and as long as you can use a soldering Iron this will not be an issue. I wired my O2 reading wire right to the DME so I could get a good signal (and then had to replace the 02 sensor because the readings were wacky at best....)

Overall the install wasn't too bad, it took be a good deal of time, but i'm still learning how to wrench on these cars, someone with more experience could do it in much less time. But in the end everything fit well and I was very happy with the apperance, it might make me go with some new IC pipes just to finish off the look....

After getting the kit installed, it was time to start the tuning, so my car came down off jackstands for the first time in quite some time and then after a couple trouble spots (all caused by me not thinking things out fully, and trouble shot by John @ Vitesse with the kind of knoledge we are all looking for in tech support). Out of the box the car had a great feeling to it off boost, with a more responsive throttle and none of the issues that had been nagging me on the old system. John @ Vitesse really showed his true colors here by giving an incredible offering information and help getting the car dialed in, through email and over the phone he helped dial things in. The Piggy Back also came in handy beyond words, being able to data log and then come back and play back my runs to help see what the car was doing proved to be a valuable as a tuning tool. I am going to take the car to a dyno to compare the a/f the piggy back is recording and the wideband the dyno uses. And then at that time I'll be able to get you guys some good dyno numbers to compare it to.....

Well I hope of all of the above is helpful to those who are thinking of getting this kit, but the kit / the install / and the tech support are important, but I think what a lot of people want to know is how it drives.

I have to say that I love my car again. With my last system I couldn't get it worked out, why that is, well I can't say exactly, but I hated the car, it bucked it was too rich, then too lean, I just couldn't get it dialed in. Sure I had good power at 18psi, but if you don't enjoy the car, then somethings wrong. I even thought of selling it a couple times.

Now, I'm driving my car to work just because I enjoy the feeling of the boost building, and at only 15psi its pulling like the old k27 did at 18psi. The turbo is holding the 15psi to redline in 3rd gear and it is building boost at 2800 in 4th with full boost at 3300 / 3350. The boost rolls on nice and smooth with that nice lunge forward that makes the turbo cars so much fun. Throttle responce is crisp and the car is behaving just as it should. I can't wait to get it on track, and do some runs at higher boost levels, but for now 15psi is going to entertain me as I begin to learn my car again.

The most important points of this kit are, Technical support, above and beyond what most of us are used to reciveing in the 944 world, there are some people who are helpfull but John is going the extra mile. And the way the car responds to the turbo, and thats to make a lot of power at low boost levels (the ideal situation).

Things to watch out for, make sure your Fuel system is in good shape, and that over all your motor is ready to take this kind of power. Take your time with the install, look at things twice, do them once....

If you have any question, feel free to ask them here, email me, or PM me. I would prefer them here because then if other have the same questions they will be here to see.....

Go to www.vitesseracing.com for links to contact the company about the kit.....

I have no connections with John or Vitesse other than being one of the first people with this new version of the kit..... I just did the write up for all those on rennlist who are considering the kit....

Last edited by ian; 07-15-2003 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2003 | 06:51 AM
Brian Fugok
Intermediate

Ian,
Glad to see you like the components, I have had his kit for a few months and it has been fantastic.
Your BOV seems to fit much better than stock, is it the Evolution unit? How do you like it?

Brian
Old 07-15-2003 | 06:54 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Brian,

The BOV is an aftermarket unit from Lindsey Racing, and I just made my own piping to make it fit better. Home depot's plumbing department and I were good friends for a couple days there....
Old 07-15-2003 | 10:00 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

And as a note to anyone looking at the shot with the BOV, it is backwards in that photo....
Old 07-15-2003 | 10:52 AM
tecart
Pro

your blow off valve hose is kinked, fix it with a prebend rubber hose from napa, nice pics
Old 07-15-2003 | 11:09 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

So they have prebent hose at napa?

How does one get a hold of it? I used that hoping I would be able to find some prebent tube down the road, but it was working and wasn't leaking so it was doing what I needed it to do so far....

But thanks for the tip tecart, and i'm hoping to have some nice pics of the 951 and 965 before too long, I have be looking all over the city for a nice back drop for the two turbos....
Old 07-15-2003 | 04:55 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

does your bypass valve work right? I have Johns kit and the same valve you do.. I used the stock valve and it fits and works fine..
I will be doing a write up soon...I'm working in dallas right now..be back tomorrow..
Dyno time soon!
I made alot of changes at the same time but, the car feels AWSOME!
Old 07-16-2003 | 04:59 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

The bypass valve does work, and the kit is being dialed in piece by piece, the only problems I'm running into are with my profec A, it seems to be suffering from boost creep..... Not sure what I can do about that...
Old 07-16-2003 | 06:14 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

try shimming ur wastegate or replacing it.
Old 07-16-2003 | 06:19 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ian I believe evil944T (How appropriate of a name ), thinks it's the spring in the WG. He has a Tial 46mm.

Try to adjust the gain on your WG controller.

John
Old 07-16-2003 | 06:36 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

I'm going to try and reset the boost controller, because I think it still has the fuzzy logic memories from the k27, and it trys to dial in boost based on flow characaristics of the turbo. The Profec - A is harder to get dialed in, but it was doing a very good job with the previous turbo, and i'm sure i'll be able to get it dialed in with this one as well....

Shortboy,

My wastegate is a new tial and shouldn't need any changes to handle the 15psi of boost i'm trying to generate.....
Old 07-16-2003 | 06:42 AM
MySwiss
Pro

Thumbs up

Well.I've also installed the stage 1 kit from Vitesse with 55 pound injectors.The engine was taken out for a full clean-up and reseal this spring before I installed the stage 1 kit.I unfortunately had to take the tranny out 2 more time due to throwout bearing problems and rear crank seal leaking.

The install of the turbo was not that hard,since it was done when the engine was out.There is some grinding to do and as usual with a t04e.I had to fabricate my coolant pipe to the turbo in order to clear the larger size turbo.I spend at least 5 hours just grinding and fitting the intake manifold to see if it would clear the turbo,and then take it off to regrind until everything would fit. So the t04e does bolt on, but there is some time involved in doing so.All said,its time consuming but well worth it.Now I still have to try and fix my small oil leak at the base (return) of the turbo,it seems to be a popular problem with the Garett hybrid center section.

The rest of the install was pretty simple,just have to solder 4 wires and connect a vampire clip to the o2 sensor for the a/f ratio.The maf system is obviously a close fit,but it works.

The map that John supplied for the Piggy back was close to perfect,right off the bat.The car started the first time and ran great. I had a problem with my 02 sensor connection,where it was not giving me the right a/f ratio reading and I was trying to add more fuel when I dint't have to. That should be resolved in the coming days.

John is always there to answer any questions I had.I've never had such good customer service,before and after the sale.

The car is now just amazing compared to the weltmeister chips at 13psi that I was running before with the stock wastegate.
Now with the Tial 35 mm,it's crazy fast.It pulls from 125mph to 165mph like I was taking off from 55mph.It goes like hell,and I can just imagine when it's perfectly tuned to 12.1a/f!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can easily recommend this kit to anyone who is looking the best power for the buck,and still have support after the install.

By the way the Perfect Power piggy back is so easy to use,it's a wonder there aren't more tuners using it,as of yet.

The car is going to be dynoed in the coming weeks on a Dynapack.So results will be posted.

I
Old 07-16-2003 | 07:05 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

MySwiss,

You are the only one out of many that is having the oil leak. It's not a problem with the Garret turbo (at least not the one I provide). Let's figure out why your turbo is leaking...
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:08 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

My swiss,
I went to napa and looked through a couple O-ring kits till I found one that filled up the housing groove. It is alittle fatter than stock but, no problems..
Ian, I have a Tial wastegate too, you can spec out different springs when you buy it. Mine came with a .8 bar spring. It flutters when building boost and then creeps. I have a 1 and 1.2 bar spring coming so I can test this weekend.
I'll keep you guys posted..feel free to e-mail me..
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:29 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

I would think that a good EBC would be able to modulate the boost smoothly, that is the whole point of them in the first place.

What EBC are you using on your car ?

Quick Reply: Vitesse Stage II Write up