Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why are 951 driving lights illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 04:10 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbo/s2 have a lens that has two light cells. The outer one is a fog and the inner one is a driving. However in the USA the manufacturers never had the inner driving light certified so the stock lenses didn't have a reflector in the driving cell and just had an aluminum blocking plate in the lens. You can see the plate if you look closely. USA guys frequently purchase the European version that has a working driving light side. And then wire it up however they want because there is no wiring harness for them in the USA spec cars.

In some markets, like Europe, where both sides are functional, operation seems to depend on the intended sub-market and different bridge adapters are installed that alter the light functions. One common set up is that the fogs will light with at least the parking lights on but not work if high beam is lit. And the driving will only work with high beam. But this varies as we have found out from owners in other countries.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:12 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kgain-
don't know the answer to your question, but nice car
Old 07-16-2003, 09:23 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speaking of driving lights, anyone want a used pair CHEAP? i've got one pair laying around the shop off my car, nothing wrong w/ them but i can't use 'em (in the way of the oil coolers hehe). PM / email me...

Quick Reply: Why are 951 driving lights illegal?