Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Delete balance shaft belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 PM
edredas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dubi, thank you for the question. I did not mean to imply that I don't know what a harmonic balancer is. I am not perfect and I must have misunderstood his point.

I have left my experience out of this because it's of no consequence. I will say that I have over a decade of experience with these cars... but don't mean to imply that I'm an expert in any way.

Your question is exactly what I've been wanting to talk about! Instead we got stuck re-hashing old points... but I digress. The Mitsubishi designers (of this style silencers) claim that that by reducing the frequency, it helped accessories among other things last longer. Since it is harsher at higher engine speeds, wouldn't racers benefit most from them??
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

This was the original post.

Originally Posted by Dash01
Exactly how bad is the vibration when the 951 engine is run without the balance shaft belt? What are the pros and cons of simply removing the balance shaft belt? Is it quieter? More fuel efficient?
From experience many of us, particularly those who race these cars and subject them to higher rpm know that the vibration is real, and worse, without balance shafts and generally cause engine parts to come loose and things like oil pickups to break . But you seem to disagree.

Originally Posted by edredas
The engine vibrates the same with or without the shafts... all the shafts do is keep that harmonic from reaching the occupants in the cabin.
Your first response suggested you do not accept that the vibrations are worse without the balance shafts. The remainder of your posts seem concerned with arguing that the purpose of the balance shafts is to reduce noise in the cabin and that the idea they actually reduce real vibration in the engine and stop things loosening and breaking is a bit of fiction. It's not.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 PM
edredas
Intermediate

Great point, and it is confusing, let me clear that right up! The initial design of the shafts are to reduce interior noise of the cabin, but it turned out that sound can also resonate certain other parts of the car too... this is said to increase the life of engine components, but remember that I'm referring to the sound, not the actual engine vibration...
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Great point, and it is confusing, let me clear that right up! The initial design of the shafts are to reduce interior noise of the cabin, but it turned out that sound can also resonate certain other parts of the car too... this is said to increase the life of engine components, but remember that I'm referring to the sound, not the actual engine vibration...
lol
Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

If there is no actual vibration, how does the sound resonating other parts of the engine cause them to break?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 PM
edredas
Intermediate

The sound is apparently amplified and vibrates... this is the words of the designers.

I am in no way saying this is fact, it sounds bizarre to me too, but this is what they said, so don't shoot me!

I'm just having a conversation...
Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

The sound is apparently amplified and vibrates... this is the words of the designers.
So how is this vibration cause by amplified sound different from the engine vibration we have been talking about all along?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it would be more accurate to say that the vibration causes the sound, not the other way around.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Sound can be counteracted by another sound from the car stereo, this for instance:

Old 10-02-2013, 02:45 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

The sounds my car makes are so loud I can't hear anything anymore
Old 10-02-2013, 02:47 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Ultimate sound of Metal!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So.. Than how about the harmonic balancer on the 968/S2 crankshaft.. How does that come into picture?.. Is that meant to cancel out sound as well?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
If there is no actual vibration, how does the sound resonating other parts of the engine cause them to break?
apparently the parts break because small elves are beating on them with hammers in a futile attempt to change the resonate frequency after reading on the internet that the resonate frequency could be changed by hitting things....this is now know as the edredas effect.

In order to keep my sanity while reading some of this I have started to add the phrase "once upon a time in a land far, far way" to the beginning of some posts, that seems to make the rest of the content make more relevant.

Seriously - there has been more inaccurate information about balance shafts in this one thread that all others I have seen to date combined. Read on at your own risk!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

The noise from my supercharger must really mess with those elves. I wonder what resonance it causes spinning at 80,000rpm!

Chris, on a serious note I was interested in this comment.

Originally Posted by Chris White
There is only one application where I would consider deleting the balance shafts - a 16v dry sump race engine with light pistons. The only reason that I consider this is that the balance shafts are spinning at twice the crank speed and the though of spinning a balance shaft at 16,000 rpm with the non pressurized front bearing does not give me a lot of confidence!
I am generally spinning my engine up to 7500rpm but occasionally it will go to 7800 or so if I hold a gear for some reason. Have you seen evidence of balance shaft bearings failing in high rpm use? Is there anything that can be done to reduce risks of that type of failure when balance shafts are retained in high rpm usage, such as any type of block preparation or particular attention in assembly?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 PM
edredas
Intermediate

Sorry, it is my mistake. I figured that since this was a large forum that there would be actual engineers here that wanted to discuss this for real.

Quick Reply: Delete balance shaft belt?