Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

boost enhancer observations

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default boost enhancer observations

First of all dont flame me. I know there are those here that feel strong about this product both positive and negative

I have a bone stocke 86 with fresh complete rebuild. I am not chasing mad horsepower gains as to sacrifice reliability and longevity. I did want to reduce turbo lag a bit though. I dont jump into things to quickly and spent many hours in searching various forums for pros and cons to the LR enhancer. *
Because there were a fair amount of forum rsponses that talked about boost spikes and negative attributes Iwanted to get a truebaseline in place first. My cars stock guage reads the normal 1.75-1.8 boost at WOT. I installed a aftermarket boost guage, very easy and highly recommended and in 3rd at WOT say the expected 11PSI. *Drove like this for a week. *
Yesterday I installed the enhancer. Super easy 5 min job. Comes pre adjusted at 10PSI. It recommend setting 5PSI lower than your set boost so I figured id split the difference and backed it off 2.5 turns that should equate to 7.5PSI and went fora drive. Nursed it at first but could tell it definately started to boost under 3000 rpms. Fantastic right? *Well first hard pull is say 14.5 pounds of boost!! *pulled like never before. no overboost protection, my assumption is it could be leaning out with no change to fuel system.
Over the afternoon kept making small adjustments to bring WOT back to the 11 pound acceptable range. Basically 5PSI on the enhancer. *
Now that it is safe, was it worth it? *Maybe... I still get a little quicker spooling but to get the decreased spool time touted youhave to leave the factory preset. *
If Ifollow the logic right from the instruction of 5 PSI less than your boost then by deductiin the stock out of the box setting is for cars running 15 PSI. *
Cars running that much boost stock are time bombs. Cars running that safely have been modded to the point of chips, MAFs, and fuel upgrades and do not need this simple bolt on.
Dont get me wrong Iwill leave it on. But my goal here is that I hope future searchers stumble on this thread and dont assume out of the box is safe for their bone stock cars. althoiugh it was fun I am back where I started.
Well until safe modificatiins start now that I have tasted 14 pounds of BOOST..

Next step is a wide band O2 to see what is going on with setting adjustments and tweaking from there
Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You should be able to hold 15 psi with a stock engine without to many mods, basically a chip. The Boost enhancer is good if your running a chip and don't want a MBC or dual port waste gate. At 16-17psi you'll start to lean out with the stock setup even if you change the FQS to add %3 fuel it will still be close to the limits
Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 AM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to clarify I have no chip just bone stock and you say 14 psi is completeky safe? Im just being paranoid.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:15 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to run with my mbc maxed out and let the stock shimmed wastegate do all the work. it would reach 20 psi and fall back down to 15 psi in upper rpms. the only problem I was having was blowing headgaskets once every 4 months. stock everything except the mbc. ran like this for years. now I run a m-tune (highly recomended)

Quick Reply: boost enhancer observations