Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:45 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Which spark plugs

I had my car tuned on the dyno this week for E85 and 17psi and the mechanic said that it was misfiring at any higher boost level higher than 17psi and that I should change the plugs (something I suppose they could've done but didn't). Anyway they said to get "the Bosch copper ones" gapped from 25 to 28.

Now I have changed spark plugs but never deviated from stock replacement so I'm not sure which plugs exactly to install. My car now makes about 330 WHP and will be driven to the track, used for the DE next weekend and driven home.

I want plugs I can get at the local auto-parts store if possible - I have heard about the NGK BPR7ES via searching on this forum. The mechanic recommended the Bosch but "the copper ones" was not sufficiently specific for me to know what to buy. Do I need to set the gap or just check it before installing the plugs? Your help is appreciated.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Which mechanic?

I think the reference to the "copper ones" is saying don't get the platinum plugs. There have been some problems with the bosch platinum not holding up in 951s.

If you want to go w/ Bosch, probably go with WR5DCs. But I don't know for sure if the E85 tuning benefits from different heat ranges.

I don't think I have gapped plugs in maybe 20 years. Let me know if I should be...

By the way, just buckling the car back up and planning on hitting last fling. next wknd Hope to see you there.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:47 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Jim, I was at the German car show at Automotorplex and ran into Bob Jr. - I guess Bob Sr. was going to call me about this but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Anyway Bob Jr. was passing it along. I have never gapped a plug but he and his friend (can't remember his name but he works at the shop) told me to make sure the gaps were equal across the plugs. I may just get the NGKs based on the information I have obtained so far. See you Saturday.

Quick Reply: Which spark plugs