Turbo Coolant Pump making Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:36 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Turbo Coolant Pump making Noise

hello,

my turbo coolant pump is all of a sudden making shrieking, whining noises and just wondering if this means imminent failure or if there are any things i can do to restore it. it basically is making the consistent shrieking noise whenever the pump is running.

any thoughts or info about a fix (other than replacing) or other musings of turbo pump knowledge????

many thanks and i did a search but didn't find anything about noises from the pump so maybe my car is special.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pump made noise for a long time, but was definitely pumping coolant, so I let it go for a while. I replaced it with a good used pump and have been fine ever since, so maybe these failures aren't very common. It was a bit of a pain to get to, then also to get the side hose reattached (very little working space).
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pump will also cavitate and whine if your coolant is not full to the top mark.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a brand new pump that is made for a Mercedes that I modified to work in our cars. PM me if interested.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:31 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
The pump will also cavitate and whine if your coolant is not full to the top mark.

hmm, i'll check it. i don't drive this car that much anymore and seems like it definitely likes to be driven rather than left dormant. also, it seems the lifespan of electrical items such as wiring is at the questionable point as i recently blew a fuse while using a compressor thru the cigarette lighter and now any replacement fuse i install blows immediately. of course i'm not complaining as long as the #2 bearings and turbo keep chugging.....(knock on wood!)

thanks for the help and i'll keep an eye on the pump.

also, fejjjj, what do you want for the pump?

or anyone else have one they're selling? what do these pumps even run? i don't remember seeing them for sale ever.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
hmm, i'll check it. i don't drive this car that much anymore and seems like it definitely likes to be driven rather than left dormant. also, it seems the lifespan of electrical items such as wiring is at the questionable point as i recently blew a fuse while using a compressor thru the cigarette lighter and now any replacement fuse i install blows immediately. of course i'm not complaining as long as the #2 bearings and turbo keep chugging.....(knock on wood!)

thanks for the help and i'll keep an eye on the pump.

also, fejjjj, what do you want for the pump?

or anyone else have one they're selling? what do these pumps even run? i don't remember seeing them for sale ever.
I had the same issue with my pump, and that was after I replaced the O ring that was going south and leaking. I thought I was out of the woods, and then it started screeching
So, I was able to pull the plastic black cap on the top of the pump, ( note: remove it carefully. It has two plastic pins that snap into the body of the pump .. I used a single edge razor blade to get under the ears on the black plastic top, but went a little to far on one side ( SO be careful or you will cut the little pegs off ) When you get it off, use some Mobil One synthetic oil ( that's what I used, and it worked great ) just use a drop or two on the top of the bushing armature, and see how it just quiets down ..
I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical whether it was going to work, but it's been quite for 3 months so far Oh, and just snap the top back on when your done but make sure that you confirm that its quite before you put that top back on ( that's not a part that is very durable, if you know what mean ...?)
I also liked the fact that I didn't have to spend 220 bucks on a pump that is not a Porsche part
Good luck
regards
Ed
Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
When you get it off, use some Mobil One synthetic oil ( that's what I used, and it worked great ) just use a drop or two on the top of the bushing armature, and see how it just quiets down ..
I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical whether it was going to work, but it's been quite for 3 months so far
+1 I did the same to mine several years ago and its been quiet ever since. Believe I popped the cap off with a small flat screwdriver
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 AM
Austin09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you modify the mercedes pump to fit? Is it the connection that is different?
Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 05:24 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Austin09
How do you modify the mercedes pump to fit? Is it the connection that is different?
Thanks
I believe its just the electrical connection, you can use your old pumps wiring connector
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Austin09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any tips for swapping over the pump? Mines definately gone, its receiving 12v when i shut off the engine but its not spinning or makign any noise.

Do i need to part drain my coolant or has anyone found and easier way to do this?
Old 02-14-2015, 04:06 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a used one for sale, if you want it PM me.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Austin09
Does anyone have any tips for swapping over the pump? Mines definately gone, its receiving 12v when i shut off the engine but its not spinning or makign any noise.

Do i need to part drain my coolant or has anyone found and easier way to do this?
See Clarkes they may have a write up on it
I did mine when the car was apart ... I am thinking you can just pinch the hoses

Quick Reply: Turbo Coolant Pump making Noise