Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My Summer 2013 Silver Rose projects – a 4 into 1 thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My Summer 2013 Silver Rose projects – a 4 into 1 thread!

At the beginning of the year, I wanted to update both the look and functionality of the car by either replacing and/or improving upon things to make it better for me to enjoy the car- to make it more balanced with a splash of personal touches here and there while retaining the originality of the car! It still smells like a 951, still drive like a 951, and most importantly, still look like a 951. And along the way, of course if I could add some functionality and/or improve upon the factory design the better. Finally, by reporting my experience, I may provide someone with a few neat idea/s to perhaps implement on their 951s to further improve the ownership experience.
Below you will find a summary of what I did this summer and how the car looks today. These things take a lot of effort in research and planning and I realized that what works for me may not work for everyone but nevertheless, enjoy!
1. Replaced the 25 years old rear konis with KWv3s and retaining the TBs. I found a used set but was rebuilt from the factory and installed. Even on stock setting, these transformed the car! The ride is firm but not harsh and better traction and much improved feel all around.
2. Installed new tires on same Turbo Tech II wheels I always had but took the opportunity to go “big-ger” - 235/40/18 fronts and 315/30/18 rears on P-Zeros. Imo, this is the biggest and still retain “factory” look to the car without resolving to go to extreme camber adjustment/s. Approx. 2mm of the excess thread needs to be shaved/grind down from the bolt/thread area that attaches the rear TB carrier to the frame – it’s directly above the eccentric bolts on either side.
3. I have a full 3” Fabspeed exhaust but wanted to experience sportier sound from the 3L so I decided to install a Doug’s electronic cut-out. Oh I got the sound I want alright, but the real kicker and the bonus is LESS back pressure which translated into even better transient response from the turbo that I could immediately felt. I could hardly hear the turbo before, now, it sounds like a semi-trailer truck when it hauls by you with the turbo whizzing and sucking in air. Even from a normal roll, the “free-flow” exhaust and turbo sounded awesome!
4. Decided to clean up the rear end a bit and improve the look and functionality at the same time without having to spend big bucks. Like the Euro bumper but don’t hate the stock US bumper pads enough to get rid of them- besides they are for safety purposes. So I researched, designed and installed a euro-style marker light with DOT approved reflector. This gives me the period look I want while blending into the bumper yet still give me that modern technology that I want- LEDs! The light is like $7 and the lense is replaceable so the bumper pad still serves its purpose in the event of an impact and cheap to replace. One can tint the lense or smoke the lense to match the bumper and hook it up any way they want to have it turn on so the possibilities ar all there should you want to go crazy with it. I have it turn on with the headlight switch for now. It is not a “fog light” per se but an added lighting at night. To be honest, I rarely drive at night so I don’t even use the lights, but just wanted a different look and still be functional. Everything is reversible should I get tired of the look so win-win situation to me!
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2013, 05:27 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Link to a couple vids and bigger pix:

http://s809.photobucket.com/user/mud...0Silver%20Rose
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write-up!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, appreciate it. It was pita at times but I think well worth it. I thought these projects have a little bit of everything for folks on here- the performance oriented guys to street, and show cars enthusiasts. My goals for the car are: balanced look, improved handling, and modest power, paying homage to the 80s design while look uniquely different at the same time. It's a constant work in progress but I am getting there...
Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice Mud. I am a big fan.. Beautiful!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:58 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Thanks Shawn. Your work as well as others on here (you know who you are), gave me all the inspiratons that I need. I may not be able wrench some big jobs but I sure can do some other stuff btw, is your new wheels fitted for good yet?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Thanks Shawn. Your work as well as others on here (you know who you are), gave me all the inspiratons that I need. I may not be able wrench some big jobs but I sure can do some other stuff btw, is your new wheels fitted for good yet?
Final parts are due to arrive tomorrow. Should be mounted this weekend.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Brian86951
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Duke! Hey, if you're around this saturday, Fabspeed is having their open house. I'm going to head up there. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Hey Brian. Thanks for the invite. It's tentaive at this point as I have made plans for the weekend. However, if you are available, I am thinking of stopping by the Bagel City meet on Sunday for a little bit as that's the only time I have in the morning. Hope all is well.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Brian86951
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you know about Sunday.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree with you mudbuddha, just a little update goes a long way, and no damage to the Car is allowed.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
315/30/18 rears on P-Zeros.
Wow! What are the offsets of the wheels? Is your 951 an '87? Are you fenders factory rolled?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Totally agree with you mudbuddha, just a little update goes a long way, and no damage to the Car is allowed.
Thanks! Your light mod is definitely functional and unique. I can't say that I have seen this done before. I have a couple of ideas for new projects but it will have to wait until next year.

Wow! What are the offsets of the wheels? Is your 951 an '87? Are you fenders factory rolled?
I wanted to go as wide as possible on both rim width and section-width, using factory designed wheels and ET while retaining stock rear fenders with stock camber and retaining TB. So those were my requirements and the only OEM set that allows me to achieve this look is the Turbo Technology II wheels. But yeah, ET50 front and ET63 rears should just about do it. Of course, you will need turbo S fenders to do this as they came alread rolled from the factory. 17X11s is cool but I thought why not go 18s???
Old 10-30-2013, 12:34 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really like the splitter. Where did you get it?

Quick Reply: My Summer 2013 Silver Rose projects – a 4 into 1 thread!