Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mono ball bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 AM
DougS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mono ball bushings

He guys, I wanted to see if anyone has had issues with Elephant racing monoball making creaking noise thru the range of motion. I went thru the installation procedures and torque to spec. Any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the Racer's Edge, but the designs appear to be the same and I've never heard of this happening to anyone. Which monoball are you referring to? One of the a-arm monoballs, or the rear banana arm monoball? Did you rotate the cartridge by hand before installing it to see if its movement was smooth?

Torque shouldn't matter as long as you're in the range. In order for torque to be a problem, you would need to torque it down so much that it would distort the shape of the inner cartridge, so I can't imagine that's the problem. If you suspect any problems with that you could reduce the torque to the minimum necessary to hold the inner cartridge to the arm and see if it still creaks.

Also, if there is a snap ring on the one that creaks, can you see if the snap ring is actually turning when you hear the creaking noise? I wonder if the inner cartridge is somehow being pulled towards one end and putting a lot of pressure on one of the snap rings. Did you have to apply any significant force (more than just pushing the bolt through by hand) to get the bolt through the cartridge?

If it was the front a-arm or rear banana arm monoball, are you sure the sleeve was completely cleaned out, smooth, and free of debris? If there was any material or debris in there that made the diameter of the sleeve out-of-round, and you had to use significant force to get the monoball installed, that would potentially distort the outer sleeve of the monoball and would be another potential cause of difficult movement.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM
DougS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before installing the bushings I had rotated and moved the components to check for smooth operations they seemed fine. The noise is coming from the back control arm monoball. I will take the bushing off, re-inspect it and check to see if the snap ring is installed correctly. The shaft traveled thru the bushing easy but not loose, so I don't thing it is an interference fit issue. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what I find.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Mono ball bushings