Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Are my strut mounts bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are my strut mounts bad

I'm trying to determine if the strut mount on my front suspension on my 86 needs replacing. With the wheel in the air I noticed I could tilt the to and fro and got a slight knocking feel through the wheel. I looked at the strut mount and did notice the whole mount moved a fraction but the nut in the center moved with the whole assembly.

With the wheel on the ground and rocking the car back and forth there was no movement in the mount nor any sound.

Understand the knocking "feel" does allow for the top of the wheel to move in and out about 1/16". All the bolts are tight from what I can tell.

Does the sound like a bad mount to anyone?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok some additional info. I raised the car again but this time I felt down the shock shaft until my finger hit the top of the strut body where the shaft goes into the strut. When I rocked the wheel back and forth I felt the shaft pinch my fingertip. So I think what I'm feeling is the shaft pivoting when it's fully extended not the strut top. I also double checked the strut top for play while moving the wheel again and I did see movement but no side to side, just a little rotational movement. Less than 1/16" or less.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is an 86 I would look up my post about the VW Fox strut mount swap. It is cheap and relatively easy.

Quick Reply: Are my strut mounts bad