Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo oil leak - While in there, what else should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo oil leak - While in there, what else should I do?

Along with my running rich challenge I also have a oil leak at the turbo. Shop tech looked at it and thinks it's probably related to the oil feed line to the turbo. As that means a hole bunch of items need to come off to get to it I'm wondering what else would be good to go after at the same time.

I'm already thinking all the vacuum lines will get replaced (that will probably help my rich condition also) and was thinking this could be a good time to replace the turbo. Either with a rebuilt K26/6 (stock) or with a K26/8.

If I went with a K26/8 what else would need to be changed? ECU? Or if I were to have the K26/6 rebuilt are they any mods that can be done to it to make it perform a bit better?

Thx for your thoughts...

Michael
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking to upgrade the turbo at all this would be the time to get it done. I hear a lot of guys talk about evergreen turbo on here. He can build a turbo for you for a reasonable price that will make you some more power. Along with a different turbo you need a set of chips(unless you will tune it yourself), possibly a new FPR(fuel pressure regulator), and maybe injectors.

The stock AFM is only good for so much power. I think it might be 325ish WHP. Do you know if any other mods have been done to your car yet? Has the wastegate been replaced with a dualport?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You will hate the crossover bolts at the turbine housing. I would suggest getting a two piece crossover from someone like lindsey.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already have the 2 piece x-over on. Did that with the clutch replacement 1 yr ago.

I've talked to whatshisname at Evergreen a while back. I don't recall what he said the price for rebuilding the 26/6 is but certainly less than purchasing a new one. That is clearly an option... As I've not really looked into it previously I don't know what all it would take to switch to the 26/8 from the 951S. Clearly is a different turbo but what else would NEED to be changed/replaced? I think the cars had the same injectors (I could be wrong on this) and I would expect to need a different or chipped DME/ECU/KLR. But is that it? Swap out the turbo and the DME/KLR and it's good to go? Not looking (at least at this time) for a BIG HP improvement just looking at it thinking that if I have to take all these parts off and replace at least some of them, would there be just a couple more pieces and I have effectively turned it into a 951S?

I'll be ordering parts next week so this is the time for this...

TIA
Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need different cheap to run the K26/8. If you are going to that trouble you might as well get an aftermarket chip from Vitesse or Lindsey instead of running stock software.

Quick Reply: Turbo oil leak - While in there, what else should I do?