Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is a 1990 3.0 944 block a candidate for a 3.0 turbo project?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is a 1990 3.0 944 block a candidate for a 3.0 turbo project?

Is a 1990 3.0L block from a 944 S2 a good starting point for a 3.0L turbo project for my 86 951? I have about two more years overseas until I move back to the U.S., and figured I could finish up a 3.0L long block while I'm here and ship it back with my household goods.

Background: I saw something that interested me on Spain's version of Craigslist, and it's in my area. http://www.segundamano.es/guadalajar...a=0_s&st=a&c=4 It definitely will not sell for its asking price of 1100 euro, and I'm wondering if I could snag this as a worthwhile parts car and what I should pay to make it worthwhile. Parts would have to be sold on eBay to the european market. Body has been modified (seems to have custom rear fender flares and some crazy front end work), and the front is now damaged. At one time, this was a car that someone put a lot of work into, but I don't have any details on it yet. I'm thinking about driving over to check it out myself, only 45-50 minutes away.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Fredrik H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I would add piston squirters, that would basically make it a 968 block. Thats what I did.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
Is a 1990 3.0L block from a 944 S2 a good starting point for a 3.0L turbo project for my 86 951?
Originally Posted by Fredrik H
Yes. I would add piston squirters, that would basically make it a 968 block. Thats what I did.

... only the car in the ad is not a 944S2 but rather a 924 with modified fenders.

From what I've seen on Rennlist, 944S2 engine conversions to Turbo have had mixed success. A fellow named Mike in Australia converted his S2 cab and the engine failed only a few months after. Something to do with the pistons IIRC.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
... only the car in the ad is not a 944S2 but rather a 924 with modified fenders.

From what I've seen on Rennlist, 944S2 engine conversions to Turbo have had mixed success. A fellow named Mike in Australia converted his S2 cab and the engine failed only a few months after. Something to do with the pistons IIRC.

S2 block is good for a 3 liter turbo in my book. Certainly better than starting with a 2.5 block, and aren't all 3 liter turbo efforts subject to mixed results? I strongly suspect any problems experienced are unrelated to the choice of block, but rather the same issues at risk for any rebuild -- getting the piston to wall clearance right, getting the rings to seat, piston/rod materials, getting the compression and piston height right, etc. I couldn't make sense of that ad either -- seems to say its a re-bodied 924, yet it is advertised as a 1990?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM
jmj951
Pro

I still don't know what it really is, been waiting for the callback. The ad is a bit inconsistent, but from my experience with the segundamano.es listing process, the user definitely had to select a model year of 1990. They may have only done that because they tried to make it look like a 1990. 'What if' they went as far as installing a motor from a 1990, or any other good bits that might have been done. Especially if they also transplanted the transaxle. As messed up as it looks, and considering somebody put a lot of effort into it at one time (those rear flares actually look really well done from the pics), my thinking is that this will go cheap, but there could be a few worthwhile gems in this car to keep and to make it worth parting the rest.

With regard to the other failure with turbocharging a 3.0L - yes, unless Mike installed low compression pistons, it would not have been a success. A non-turbo 944 motor has compression from the high 9's to the low 10's (depending on year, and the later years had 10.2:1), but the turbocharged version should be around 8.5:1. Based on what little I know at this point, my basic plan is to get a 3.0L block & crank, a 2.7 8V head (so I can reuse my stock intake and aftermarket headers) and only invest serious money in the pistons, rods, and turbocharger. I do not intend to create a beast, just a reliable motor in the 350hp range. My 2.5L with over 150k miles is tired and smoky - still trackable, still taken on trips as long as 3 hrs, and otherwise running just fine and with good AFR's, but I have a magnetic oil drain plug that's previously shown me some bad things. At the minimum it will need the typical rod bearing replacement, and then I might as well reseal it all, I have to replace the flywheel due to a broken tooth, etc. etc. I'm sure the work will add up quite a bit, and I just don't want to put all that work into a 2.5L - and not have an engine in the car for several weeks or months - if I can alternatively approach it as an upgrade to a 2.7L or 3.0L. I'm inspired in part by Sid's build/approach, and am trying to see if I can really do this successfully with a low-budget approach.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

descripción
porche 924 con imagen de 944 para restaurar o piezas se pede sacar documentacio o se cambia por algo que me interesa

i dont know spanish, but that sounds like they made 924 look like 944..
Old 08-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My engine is S2 based. Probably not much of a comparison as I went the wet sleeve route, but my engine is doing great.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
S2 block is good for a 3 liter turbo in my book. Certainly better than starting with a 2.5 block, and aren't all 3 liter turbo efforts subject to mixed results? I strongly suspect any problems experienced are unrelated to the choice of block, but rather the same issues at risk for any rebuild -- getting the piston to wall clearance right, getting the rings to seat, piston/rod materials, getting the compression and piston height right, etc.
Hey, nice to see you again. He did say block, so I stand corrected. I was referring to S2 3.0 engine conversions having mixed results. Guys like yourself who build the whole thing and know what they're doing are obviously more likely to succeed.

Originally Posted by jmj951
I still don't know what it really is, been waiting for the callback. The ad is a bit inconsistent, but from my experience with the segundamano.es listing process, the user definitely had to select a model year of 1990. They may have only done that because they tried to make it look like a 1990. 'What if' they went as far as installing a motor from a 1990, or any other good bits that might have been done.
To be honest, I don't think that car is a 944 at all.

Like the ad says, it's a 924 with bodywork.

Reason for the 1990 model year is that it was probably brought in from another EU country and first registered in Spain in 1990.

Good luck with your project and enjoy Madrid.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could tell it was a 924 with out reading the description. What make me tell is a few things.
The flares.. On a 944 they are higher to the fuel filler cap. and the cap is flat on a 924 while on a 944 the cap is bent at the bottom.
The front end is a modified 924 front. nothing like a 944 S2
Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

My memory of Mike in Australia's motor was that he ran stock or close to it, compression. Maybe Sean remembers, but I think he kept raising the boost up little by little and perhaps holed a piston. Seems like a long time ago.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
My memory of Mike in Australia's motor was that he ran stock or close to it, compression. Maybe Sean remembers, but I think he kept raising the boost up little by little and perhaps holed a piston. Seems like a long time ago.
Not sure why you have 'Macaw' youtube link in your Sig LOL!.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM
jmj951
Pro

Thanks for the insight guys. I won't waste my time driving over there, and I'll keep watching for a good one to pop up.

Quick Reply: Is a 1990 3.0 944 block a candidate for a 3.0 turbo project?