Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boxster Wheels on early 951

Old 07-21-2013, 11:02 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Boxster Wheels on early 951

I have an '86 951 with early offset hubs and Boxster wheels.

My ChumpCar 924S runs 17" Boxster wheels and it gives me a great source
of used track tires (I've got no less than 6 sets with plenty of track life on them) -- however the 924S has late offset.

I found studs and spacers for the rears from a ChumpCar donor, so I was able to put on the 17" Boxster wheels on the rear.
The have a second set of spacers from another early model donor, however I think they too are for the rears and don't clear the center hub.

I'd like to know how long and what spacers to use for the fronts.
So spacer size, stud size and a good source would be most welcome.

thank you,

Mike
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm far from being an expert on the subject, but I've poked around a little with early and late offset cars (as seen in my sig), and I've been trying to help my brother figure out how to squeeze 295's on 11's under the rear of his 86... ugh...

I don't know that I would start swapping studs. The easiest method to try would be to slap some spacers in there. It sounds like you are trying to make a 50-55mm offset Boxster wheel fit onto a car that wants a 23mm offset wheel (early 951), so you need a space somewhere around 30mm. Since 30mm = 1.18 inches, you might start with readily-available 1.25" bolt-on spacers. They go for around $65 on eBay, so it would be an easy attempt, and wouldn't take much effort at all.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/5x130-spacer

On the other hand, if you are trying to run a wider wheel than stock tire & wheel (wider than 205-225mm section width on a 7" rim), you may need less of a spacer like 1"... but that width may not be available as a bolt-on adapter, so you may have to install longer studs as you originally suggested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster Wheels on early 951