Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finished my First Belt Change - help vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
Gentlemen we have liftoff! Smooth as butter gentlemen smooth as butter.

The only thing I can't seem to do when setting the balance roller to .5mm to the belt and the top to 1mm (?). I held the .5mm but the top is about 2mm. Any thoughts on this? And trust me I spun that roller all kind of ways to try and close the gap.

God I hate that roller.

I haven't driven it yet, just started and revved it a bit. But there is no vibration at all!

Ill feel better once I get it out on the road for a test run but so far all is well.
That roller is part of Porsche's overall practical joke re the balance shafts/belt. In addition to spinning, that roller is slotted so that it can slide back and forth on the mounting bolt. The elusive .5/1mm spec can be achieved with a combination of rotating and sliding the roller on the mounting bolt. Every time is like the first time though, so enjoy....
Old 07-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I didn't achieve the 1mm spec, just the .5mm. Will this cause any harm. I figured I'd try again when I retighten in 1500 miles. Also when reviewing Clarks he on talked about setting the .5mm
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
The only thing I can't seem to do when setting the balance roller to .5mm to the belt and the top to 1mm (?). I held the .5mm but the top is about 2mm. Any thoughts on this? And trust me I spun that roller all kind of ways to try and close the gap.

God I hate that roller.
Congrats! Sounds like a job well done.

For the balance shaft belt and that roller, turn your tensioner - the roller at the bottom left, the other way. Then you'll have no problem with the other roller.

I do the one with a credit card, and the other one as just eyeballing it at a "smidge". I think I go over it in my video.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Took my test drive and everything seems good!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:39 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is old but i want to say, i Google searched "944 buzzy vibration" which is exactly how it felt after our full rebuild. Sure enough, both shaft sprockets were upside down.
It's definitely easy to do. The vibration wasnt that extreme either.
Also let it be noted that ALL 3 eccentrics need to be rotated counter clockwise. Such a common mistake and many misinformed posts out there. It's the only way to have correct water pump belt/pulley contact, and balance shaft belt clearance.
Thanks again for this thread though clearing up the bsb sprocket alignment!

Quick Reply: Finished my First Belt Change - help vibration!