Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The dreaded oil cooler heat shield.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The dreaded oil cooler heat shield.

Ok guys... this is my 2rd heat shield I've installed and 3rd that has broken. I put on the most recent one after having my motor mounts replaced (a week ago today) and as of 2 hours ago the front mount cracked off.

Every time one has broken, its that damn front mount. Same spot. Both shields lasted me about a week of driving before cracking off the mount. Needless to say I want to grab the engineer that designed that tinfoil POS and shake him like a rag doll.

All that aside, has anyone had a similar problem? How does everyone else tighten them up? I do it by attaching all pieces finger tight, tighten down the "spine" to the motor, then the front mount bolt, and then tighten the 3 middle bolts. I've done this with both styles of shields and I've gotten the same result.

Another question. Has anyone had a harmonic "buzz" come out of theirs while revving the engine? Does anyone else's touch the bolt next to it between no. 2&3 cylinder?

I'm going to try and "fix" an old shield and grind out where it is near that bolt. If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great. I'm going to pray that my date tomorrow doesn't hear it when I come into the parking lot.

Last edited by Mangonesailor; 07-12-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Order of procedure.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

I assume you're talking about the oil filter heat shield? Mine broke where it mounted to the block and buzzed around all over the place. Taking into account the age of these things, and the extreme heat they have been subjected to over 20 something years.....I elected to spend the money and get a new one.

Taking it apart and putting it back together was a PITA. I searched and searched and found most people recommending pulling the exhaust manifold away from the head to free up space. I really didn't want to deal with that so I just started messing around with it. I pulled the oil filter, used a universal joint and a bunch of extensions to separate the two pieces from the top, then got the others from the bottom. I was able to pull the front piece out and over the oil filter housing, and pull the back piece down between the block and exhaust manifold.

Putting it back together was pretty much the exact same process in reverse order. Wiggle the two pieces into place, let them hang there, connect the two pieces together, then get the bolts where the shield mounts to the block.

Hopefully with the new piece I won't run into the issue again? I'm assuming since you've broken so many of them, you're buying used shields? My recommendation would be to save yourself the headache and just get a new one. They're not that expensive.

Brian
Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

The last one that broke was a new one that I purchased from 944online. I'm not going to say, and I'm not saying, that they sold me a bad product. But it broke in the same damn place. Typically I put the car on ramps, drop the skid plate, and pull the front half from the bottom first. Then the rear half. I put them back in reverse order. Last one took me 3 hours of cussing and sweating to get it up there. I will likely mock up a modification on an old shield and place it on the new one. I've been playing with the idea of somehow making it a bit more rigid in places so it doesn't vibrate so much. I shall see.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Interesting......your car has about the same mileage as mine, so I'm betting it doesn't get driven much. I would certainly hope a new shield would hold up longer than yours did. I know it doesn't help the situation, but I hope for everyone's sake that you got the one defective new part out there. Don't know how you got the front piece out the bottom....but if you end up doing it again, try sliding it forward and over the oil filter housing. Came right out for me.

The big headache was keeping the two pieces aligned over the holes while trying to get the bolts started in the "spine" as you called it. I fought and fought with the damn thing.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

The first time I did it I slid it out from the top during an oil change since the Lol filter was off. I tired the last time with the filter on but found it easier to take it out from the bottom.

The car does get driven a lot but only when I'm home. I'm seeking another vehicle to be my DD so that I can do maintenance or repairs when I want.

I'll update this thread when I fix the shield.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:39 PM
kent426
Advanced

I cut mine in half so I only have 1 mounting hole to deal with and wrapped the down pipe with heat wrap, no problems.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

I had an epiphany last night. I've been able to get my hand down and behind the exhaust manifold and grab onto the heat shield before. I wonder if I can pull the entire thing out that way instead of taking it apart to get it in and out.

I will see what I get accomplished tomorrow. If I had a lift this wouldn't be as difficult I'm sure. Talked to 944online about this, and most people just tack on a little "L" bracket instead.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 PM
kent426
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mangonesailor
I had an epiphany last night. I've been able to get my hand down and behind the exhaust manifold and grab onto the heat shield before. I wonder if I can pull the entire thing out that way instead of taking it apart to get it in and out.

I will see what I get accomplished tomorrow. If I had a lift this wouldn't be as difficult I'm sure. Talked to 944online about this, and most people just tack on a little "L" bracket instead.

You probably can't, i tried the same thing, but there are a couple of bends that interfere, I took mine out, reshaped it and cut of the second mounting hole so it can slide in and out.

Quick Reply: The dreaded oil cooler heat shield.