944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Drove a 981 Cayman and Cayman S...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013 | 08:20 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I think the Cayman and Cayman S are very nice cars. There is something that always brings me back to a really nice 944 Turbo.

I looked at new cars recently(old girl isn't making boost, she might be jealous). I test drove a Challenger R/T. I really like Mopars. I am considering replacing the 944T with a SRT version of the Challenger. I think they look good ride nice and have a buttload of power, but I have this weird feeling that after I have that Challenger for a year or so I will want my 944T back or another one that is really nice. My dilemma is if I sell my current car and get a newer Boxster, Cayman, Mustang, or whatever I will just want a well sorted 944T again. Which they aren't easy to find, since most of us here on Rennlist will keep the cars we have done so much work on.

They sure look good and I'm sure are lightyears ahead of the 944, but I don't know if they have the character of the classic Porsche.
Old 06-20-2013 | 10:10 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Cayman's and 944T drama might not be catastrophically far apart on the $$$ over the long haul.

the Cayman requires paying close attention to the ims.

catching it early or simple removal of the failing bearing, and installing the somewhat better LN bearing ($3,000~3,500?)....
Old 06-20-2013 | 11:55 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I think the Cayman and Cayman S are very nice cars. There is something that always brings me back to a really nice 944 Turbo.

I looked at new cars recently(old girl isn't making boost, she might be jealous). I test drove a Challenger R/T. I really like Mopars. I am considering replacing the 944T with a SRT version of the Challenger. I think they look good ride nice and have a buttload of power, but I have this weird feeling that after I have that Challenger for a year or so I will want my 944T back or another one that is really nice. My dilemma is if I sell my current car and get a newer Boxster, Cayman, Mustang, or whatever I will just want a well sorted 944T again. Which they aren't easy to find, since most of us here on Rennlist will keep the cars we have done so much work on.

They sure look good and I'm sure are lightyears ahead of the 944, but I don't know if they have the character of the classic Porsche.
I've kinda come "full circle" on that.

My first real "enthusiast" car was an old '83 BMW 320iS. Slow but raw and fun. Definitely a momentum car. Had it for a few years before wanting more power.

That moved me into a Dodge Omni GLH Turbo. I actually had 2 of them. The "hot" one had a bigger turbo, intercooled, custom software, cam, ported head... 250hp, 2400lbs. A pretty raw experience but a blast. Problematic though - it makes the 951 look like a Toyota Corolla as far as reliability goes.

Next up, I went the opposite direction and ponied up for a brand new Z06 Corvette. Power, luxury (compared to what I was used to driving), reliable. But after living with it for a few months, it became "just a car". Power was awesome, handled great... but I got sick of the high payment.

Bounced around a little, kinda "splitting the difference" as I went. Owned a Talon TSi for a while... big turbo, electronics, etc. Faster than the Z06, less luxury but a lot cheaper. Then moved into a GTI, less performance, more comfort, a more equal compromise between everything but still muted.

I've eventually learned that I really appreciate the rawness of the older cars like the 951. Everything is much more direct, tight, and solid. Bang for the buck is really hard to beat when you weigh in everything that you get... power, handling, fun-to-drive, and cost.

When I want comfort and luxury, I go drive my truck. But I think I kinda had to go around the circle of cars to get here. If I hadn't had the extreme of the new Z06 I'd probably still be dreaming about owning something like that some day. Now that I've been there/done that and seen for myself how quickly it lost it's luster... I'm free to really enjoy and appreciate the 951 for what it is.
Old 06-20-2013 | 12:51 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

From: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor

Originally Posted by lart951
I respect that, it takes a real man to admit your driving limitations publicy.
My limitations as a driver are on display for all to see, just attend a PCASDR event.
In this case however, the heavily modded Carrera drivers that I was on par with for TTOD (and that I am dead equal to when we race Karts at K-1 Speed on Wednesday nights) are now 6 seconds faster since they got Caymans on Hoosiers.
I used to be in the top five for TTOD at a typical event, now I have a hard time cracking the top ten, and keep slipping down the list as more and more Caymans show up.
951's have become hopelessly un-competitive with the fastest group as time, and technology, march on.
Old 06-20-2013 | 01:07 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
My limitations as a driver are on display for all to see, just attend a PCASDR event.
In this case however, the heavily modded Carrera drivers that I was on par with for TTOD (and that I am dead equal to when we race Karts at K-1 Speed on Wednesday nights) are now 6 seconds faster since they got Caymans on Hoosiers.
I used to be in the top five for TTOD at a typical event, now I have a hard time cracking the top ten, and keep slipping down the list as more and more Caymans show up.
951's have become hopelessly un-competitive with the fastest group as time, and technology, march on.
So you might want to consider changing your renn id to UNLUCKY DAVE?
Old 06-21-2013 | 12:42 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Got one of each. The Cayman is my DD. the 951 an ongoing project. Like "em both. About to spend $ on the Cayman since about to hit 50k; belt, water pump, plugs and maybe coil pks....and it's all shop work. The 951 is a DIY car. That right there sure makes a big difference. ( speaking of which gas tank puked on garage floor...got one in stock Lart?)
Neither is the perfect Porsche for all the reasons listed in thread above.
Thinking maybe get the 951 up and done and sell both.... For an 09 DFI Cayman with PDK. I'm getting old.
Old 06-21-2013 | 12:52 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Got one of each. The Cayman is my DD. the 951 an ongoing project. Like "em both. About to spend $ on the Cayman since about to hit 50k; belt, water pump, plugs and maybe coil pks....and it's all shop work. The 951 is a DIY car. That right there sure makes a big difference. ( speaking of which gas tank puked on garage floor...got one in stock Lart?)
Neither is the perfect Porsche for all the reasons listed in thread above.
Thinking maybe get the 951 up and done and sell both.... For an 09 DFI Cayman with PDK. I'm getting old.
cheap gas tank, what's wrong with yours?
Old 06-21-2013 | 04:58 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Must have rusted out around mounts/seams. About mount ago smelled something and out in separate garage there it was, dumped the tank. When get around to dropping it will see what's up. Maybe rust since car spent some time up north in its life.

Quick Reply: Drove a 981 Cayman and Cayman S...