Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

started fuel hose replacement job - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default started fuel hose replacement job - need advice

I'm working on replacing fuel hoses today - bought the hose kit from Larts and following the procedure available on LR site. This is going to be a little harder than they make it out to be. Probably going to have to disconnect a brake line in order to get the fuel lines out far enough to cut with the little tubing cutter.

The brake line I need to disconnect goes from the caliper to the ABS pump. I presume I'm going to have the bleed the brake line after getting this back together, but I've never bled a system with ABS. Anything special I need to know before doing this?

Also - the sheathing that goes around the ABS wiring harness is all rotted and breaking off. I would like to wrap it with something - what should I use. I saw on the Olli (guy from Finland re-building 951 with his son) thread where he wraps wiring harness with hockey tape. Would that work for this area in the wheel well? Any other recommendations?

Is the ABS wiring harness available from somewhere if I wanted to replace it with a new one?

Last edited by aglaes; 06-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:03 PM
TurnerJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up disconnecting my brake line. I definitely had to bleed my brakes afterwards but I have an '86 and therefore no ABS.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See below

Originally Posted by aglaes
I'm working on replacing fuel hoses today - bought the hose kit from Larts and following the procedure available on LR site. This is going to be a little harder than they make it out to be. Probably going to have to disconnect a brake line in order to get the fuel lines out far enough to cut with the little tubing cutter.

It really isn't that hard, you're just limited in the space available. Don't cut both fuel lines at the same point, look at the overall length of the fittings and stagger them so you will have clearance after you put everything back together. As far as cutting the fuel lines themselves, you'll only be able to turn the cutter 120*-150* before you'll have to reposition it. Work slowly and you'll be fine.

The brake line I need to disconnect goes from the caliper to the ABS pump. I presume I'm going to have the bleed the brake line after getting this back together, but I've never bled a system with ABS. Anything special I need to know before doing this?

Seriously, don't do anything with the brake lines.

Also - the sheathing that goes around the ABS wiring harness is all rotted and breaking off. I would like to wrap it with something - what should I use. I saw on the Olli thread where he wraps wiring harness with hockey tape. Would that work for this area in the wheel well?

Is the ABS wiring harness available from somewhere if I wanted to replace it with a new one?

IIRC they're still available from Porsche. Not sure what the going rate is, but if they're anything like other wiring harnesses in the car, they're not cheap. I'd see if you can source some good used ones.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my Imgur album i made after I installed my rail. I don't have ABS, but it may help you get an idea or three.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

I'll give it a shot, but if you don't have ABS, you may not realize the maze of brake lines that are in the way.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed LR fuel lines with zero issues. Had plenty of space, and don't remember running into any problems with brake lines.

Remember to stagger the connections.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I installed LR fuel lines with zero issues. Had plenty of space, and don't remember running into any problems with brake lines.

Remember to stagger the connections.
Are you posting pics of other people's cars again?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah...I own a Volvo now...
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Yeah...I own a Volvo now...
Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Yep, you were right. Was able to do it without disconnecting any brake lines. Thanks for the feedback. Best thing - no leaks!

Quick Reply: started fuel hose replacement job - need advice