944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone have spare 951S DME/KLR units?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013 | 03:33 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Default Anyone have spare 951S DME/KLR units?

I have good reason to suspect my DME/KLR units of having problems. I am looking for known good units to try, just to verify the problem.

I don't suppose anyone has either unit in known good shape lying on a shelf that you could lend/rent/whatever? It's an '89 so I know that kind of narrows it down.

I am torn between sending them to ECU doctors for diagnosis/repair, or just exchanging them. If they are bad, it's much cheaper to just exchange them.
Old 05-29-2013 | 09:25 AM
Supachink
Racer

Did you check the solder joints? dont know the exact spots, but there have been a few threads about the cold solder joints breaking and causing abnormal running issues... that being said, I have a spare DME/KLR from an 86 turbo (24 pin) but, I will be converting to a late 28 pin for Rogue's Chips soon. If someone local doesn't have one to lend you, I would be willing to do the swap to a 28 pin and sell the set to you. PM me if you are interested.
Old 05-29-2013 | 10:23 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, I didn't check it properly. I have looked over it but honestly wasn't really sure what to look for. My reason for suspecting one or both units was that I've been having weird symptoms that I'm running out of explanations for, and I have a leak in the battery tray area that could have let water into that area.

I have been getting these symptoms:
- rough idle especially when cold
- rough spot when fuel supply comes back after coasting cut-off (around 1500rpm)
- boost/acceleration problems
- various other occasional once-off glitches.
- lousy fuel economy (low 20s at best)

I have replaced & tested a lot of stuff: replaced vacuum lines, ignition components, DME temp sensor, o2 sensor, AFM, tested TPS, tested with TPS unplugged. Still have more stuff to check though.

I think I may have improved things by cleaning my ground connections. I have not experienced the acceleration issue since I did that. But my idle/fuel return issues are still there.

Will PM regarding the spare units...

Quick Reply: Anyone have spare 951S DME/KLR units?