Budget for OPRV Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM
seattle951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget for OPRV Replacement

I think my OPRV is bad.

I started my 944 Turbo on Saturday with 4 bars of oil pressure. After the car warmed up, the oil pressure dropped to 1.5 bar at idle and 4 bar at 2k rpms. Normal for this car at idle is 2.5 bars. 4 bars at running temperature at 2k rpm has been the norm since I bought the car 8 years ago. I have changed the engine twice and the OPRV once. I believe the gauge is faulty and has a maximum of 4 bars.

This happened to me about 5 years ago when the pressure dropped even lower. In that incident, I turned the car off immediately and had it towed by AAA to a garage. They replaced the OPRV and things returned to normal. Since I had other work done at the same time, I do not remember the cost.

I am assuming that my OPRV is venting too much pressure and it needs to be replaced again. Any idea how much this would cost at a shop in the DC area? I am on a tight budget.

The car is almost never driven and I just run it for 20 minutes every weekend with an occasional freeway trip to put some miles on it.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:58 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost will depend on the year of your car as there is an early and late version of the OPRV. Installation is fairly easy.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:22 PM
seattle951
Pro

I have a 1986. Lindsey Racing is selling the part for $423.95. With two hours of labor (easy installation), this is a $700 repair. Can on old OPRV be cleaned instead of replaced?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

2 hours of labor?! With a jack it takes 10 min.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by Thom
2 hours of labor?! With a jack it takes 10 min.
I am staying in a temporary apartment while I learn Spanish. Working on cars is not permitted and I do not have my tools. Based on past experience, a mechanic will charge me "book time". I have never seen any task that is under two hours.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Best case is that you get a used late model OPRV and update. The early model OPRV is a two part unit is very sensative to housing alignment. The late model is simpler to self align. The manual says to use a tool regardless.

The price of the job will depend if it's just a straight replacment or if the mechanic determines that the housing is not aligned. If that's the case, it will also require a new housing seal.

Quick Reply: Budget for OPRV Replacement