Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Introducing Visual Knock (V-KNOCK™)

After a long time in the work, it’s finally here. I would like to introduce the new Vitesse Visual Knock (V-KNOCK™).

Bad fuel, heat, heat soaked engine, tuning, too much boost can cause engine Knock. You car’s ECU detects engine knock and it generates Knock Indicators.
The Knock Indicators have a very short duration, in the millisecond range, requiring special equipment to capture. In some cases, through the OBD interface or with aftermarket components, the user can get the knock count. Good information to know, but it’s after the fact.
Engine Knock is damaging! It’s important to know when it happens the moment it does! If you don’t know when your engine is knocking, how can you address the problem?

V-KNOCK™ works in conjunction with your car’s ECU to alert you the moment engine knock is detected.
When V-KNOCK™ detects a knock indicator; it generates a visual alert, and a Data Logger signal. Each has an adjustable duration.

V-KNOCK™ allows you to set a threshold above which you are interested in monitoring alerts. Suppose you are interested in alerts over a certain boost level, or over a throttle position angle. You have the flexibility!

Installation can be as simple as hooking up a few wires and a LED. Or you can interface it to a Data Logger or a PiggyBack to alter the tuning parameters.

On the 951, V-KNOCK™ works with stock or aftermarket software. However, when interfaced to Vitesse V-FLEX™ or V-MAF+™ software, it allows the DME to alter ignition and fuel. (KLR functionality remains the same).

V-KNOCK™ supports the following car models: 951, 944S, 944S2, 968, 964 and 993. More models will be added soon.

Detailed instructions (per car model) are provided to make installation a simple process.

For more information and to take advantage of our introductory offer, please visit our website. Just click V-KNOCK™
Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks.....nice read.......and it's Technical

Jason
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice
Old 05-10-2013, 06:21 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

John, how does it work with E85? Does it work with the stock knock sensors? Always good to see new products for our cars.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you.

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Thanks.....nice read.......and it's Technical

Jason
Originally Posted by hally
Nice
Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It does not know which fuel you are running (well if it's real bad octane it will ).
V-Knock works with the factory knock detection mechanism (knock sensor and KLR on 951).

When interfaced to V-MAF+ it will act based on the fuel you are using (pump, race or E85).

I'm surprised no one asked "How does it increase performance?"!

Originally Posted by 333pg333
John, how does it work with E85? Does it work with the stock knock sensors? Always good to see new products for our cars.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Oooooo!!! I will

So. How does it increase performance?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Oooooo!!! I will

So. How does it increase performance?
Very simple. Once you know the conditions where your engine is experiencing knock, you can target tune it. (You will need a way to alter the tune, directly in the DME or via a PiggyBack).

When the KLR detects knock, it will retard ignition as much as 6deg. As you can imagine, 6deg will lower performance. (and hopefully save the engine!).

In many cases, engine knock could frequently take place under certain running conditions. (ex: WOT, 16 PSI, 4700RPM). Once you know where/when your engine is knocking and under which parameters, you can target tune the area in question. You may need to retard ignition 1 or 2 deg to eliminate knock.
With the absence of knock, the KLR will not pull timing. (1 or 2 deg retard will not hurt performance as much as 6deg).. Also, by eliminating knock, your EGTs are lower, and your engine is "happier" and it will make more power.

V-Knock will help you identify when and where knock is taking place. Of course, you must do something about it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I thought your chips kept the knock capability of the stock computer.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You are correct. Knock control is done in the KLR. The engine management software we supply (chip or chipboard) is on the DME side.
The DME does not manage knock (the KLR does it). However, when interfacing V-Knock to V-MAF+, the DME (in addition to what the KLR is doing) can alter the tune based on knock. V-KNOCK interface to V-MAF+ is optional if the user wants to use it.

V-KNOCK works with the factory, Vitesse or aftermarket software. As long as the KLR is functioning!

Originally Posted by reno808
I thought your chips kept the knock capability of the stock computer.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you John. Another gateway drug for our boost habits!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Very simple. Once you know the conditions where your engine is experiencing knock, you can target tune it. (You will need a way to alter the tune, directly in the DME or via a PiggyBack).

When the KLR detects knock, it will retard ignition as much as 6deg. As you can imagine, 6deg will lower performance. (and hopefully save the engine!).

In many cases, engine knock could frequently take place under certain running conditions. (ex: WOT, 16 PSI, 4700RPM). Once you know where/when your engine is knocking and under which parameters, you can target tune the area in question. You may need to retard ignition 1 or 2 deg to eliminate knock.
With the absence of knock, the KLR will not pull timing. (1 or 2 deg retard will not hurt performance as much as 6deg).. Also, by eliminating knock, your EGTs are lower, and your engine is "happier" and it will make more power.

V-Knock will help you identify when and where knock is taking place. Of course, you must do something about it.
So is one now able to control ign with your software too?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Which software, the PiggyBack? If so, I'm seriously considering it as customers are now able to capture knock.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So is one now able to control ign with your software too?

Last edited by fast951; 05-10-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast951
Which software, the PiggyBack? If so, I'm seriously considering it as customer are now able to capture knock.
I'm very interested in this. I say go for it. Most of your customers I've encountered have been around the block a few times and/or work with those who have.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With V-KNOCK on hand, I'm more comfortable with the idea. But, there are many things to consider. When you start messing with ignition, fat fingers can cause serious damage!

So far, when controlling boost with a PiggyBack, you can interface V-KNOCK to PB and have the PB lower boost when knock is detected. The user can decide the "how much" boost to lower and the "for how long".

The same can be done for ignition!

Originally Posted by odb812
I'm very interested in this. I say go for it. Most of your customers I've encountered have been around the block a few times and/or work with those who have.

Quick Reply: Introducing Visual Knock (V-KNOCK™)