Water in fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water in fuel?

Has anyone ever had the case that you had contaminated fuel in your tank?

Something on facebook made me think of this topic as a picture came up of a bottle of petrol and it was 1/3 petrol and 2/3 water. This was the premium fuel.. 98ron octane from a certain servers station and this has happend.

My question is, what can happend to your engine is any fuel is contaminated with water?

I know that i fulled up at this particular station once and it was the same time and fuel by turbo started lagging more. This might link? i have no idea.

Remember I'm australian and fuel is any materials that store potential energy in forms that can be practicably released and used as heat energy. Petrol..gasoline is the same.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Really it will depend on the amount of water in your fuel, generally though any significant amount of water mixing with the gas can cause a variety of driving and acceleration issues. If you felt a loss of power especially under boost you could have very well had contaminated fuel, which would mess with combustion and lower the rating. If you suspect you still have water in your gas get a good fuel treatment, Seafoam and Heet both act as a water remover.
Massive amount of water in the fuel can cause rust and mechanical issues. So tanks, fuel lines, filters, injectors and the engine it self would be a risk of damage.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

any amount of water really?

I only use one servers station (BP) or shell. Some other servos have known cases of water in their fuel. That worries me
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paul:

Is down under fuel an ethanol blend like in the states? If so, water is almost impossible to avoid. Ethanol sucks up water like a sponge, especially in humid climates. There are quite a few water removal products. Seafoam works great in boats here in the states where large amounts are stored for long periods in the fuel tank. At least it will knock less kind of like a built in water injection system, Ha!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Paul:

Is down under fuel an ethanol blend like in the states? If so, water is almost impossible to avoid. Ethanol sucks up water like a sponge, especially in humid climates. There are quite a few water removal products. Seafoam works great in boats here in the states where large amounts are stored for long periods in the fuel tank. At least it will knock less kind of like a built in water injection system, Ha!
I'm assuming ethanol is the same everywhere. the only difference is the blend of fuel, 15% of fuel or 25% of fuel. and if it's corn or

but i'm talking about regular fuel 98ron ~91mon

There have been cases of certain fuel companies have water in their fuel.

This is where i don't think the case of water in the fuel will prevent it to knock more. IICR water injection is to cool the intake charge to get better ignition. and since water doesn't compress, it'll increase the CR slightly. Having water in the fuel will just increase the CR and create more knock.

how much water can do that, i have no idea. Because sometimes i hear a little bit of water in fuel, and some cases 1/3 of the 1L tested fuel was water.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I was just joking about the water injection.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Yes, I was just joking about the water injection.
Thought so, Wasn't sure if serious or not haha!

Im anti water injection
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always a risk at ANY Service Station if they cut back on Tank Maintenance and/or their not moving a lot of gallons, as it's a condensation issue. I come across it occasionally in back road Ma and Pa Stations where Premium Fuel is not a big mover. Learned my lesson not to fill-up 'out there', just get what you need and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Water in fuel?