Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch/PP/TOB snap ring issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013 | 12:45 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Default Clutch/PP/TOB snap ring issue

Hi everyone,

I would like to pick your brains on an issue that I have.

Last Fall I cruising around in the 951 and went to push the clutch in at a stop sign and ‘Clunk,’ clutch pedal goes to the floor. I assumed my clutch fork broke and towed the car to storage. Well spring is here and starting ripping the car apart to get access to the bell housing to see what the culprit was.

Low and behold, I pull the Bell housing off and the snap ring for the Throw Out Bearing and the other assembly pieces start falling to the ground………………….ARE YOU SERIOUS! Clutch fork is fine.

Name:  SfjyXhq.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  45.9 KB

3 years ago, probably 3,000 miles ago I replaced the clutch/PP/TOB and with near certainty did the job correctly. I mean there really isn’t a way to screw up the snap ring..either it sitting in its groove or it’s not.

My question to you all is to how you would proceed. I feel like I’d be a fool to use the same snap ring to hold the assembly together. The pieces seem like they have no damage to them and could be reused. I will be reaching out to the supplier that I bought the TOB bearing from and voicing my frustrations a little.

Have you heard of this happening before? Are there better snap rings than others?

Thank you all for your help.
Old 05-10-2013 | 08:22 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

My stack-up looks a little different than yours - just a reference; are you missing a ring?...Bruce
Old 05-10-2013 | 09:05 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Actually if you do not push the clip into place until it snaps in deeply, it will look like it is installed correctly, when in fact it isn't, so it could in theory be installed incorrectly. I don't see any other way it could come out.
Old 05-10-2013 | 10:13 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Actually if you do not push the clip into place until it snaps in deeply, it will look like it is installed correctly, when in fact it isn't, so it could in theory be installed incorrectly. I don't see any other way it could come out.
+1

I would get a new snap ring, but I agree with this. It's certainly possible for it to look installed, when it's not actually 100% fully seated.

Quick Reply: Clutch/PP/TOB snap ring issue