Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 turbo the horror story, and the happy ending

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM
RevvAutoMD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 turbo the horror story, and the happy ending

In Oct I picked up an 86 guards red 944 turbo. The car was pretty bad, needed a clutch, timing belt, head(not just machined but new valves,springs,etc), headgasket,exhaust,all new vaccum hoses, lots of broken wires/connectors,wires split under boots,new front suspension, front drivers fender, rearviews mirror, drivers side mirror, hatch, tires,brakes,and a million other things. About 2 months ago after aquiring many of the parts I started to tear in, even almost traded it in for a mint e30 at what point after realizing the size of the project. I own a small auto shop mind you and even still with all the tools, space, and ability, I knew this was going to be rough.

Mods:
-17x9 et 55 turbo twists 245's front 275's rear, came with full slicks all around so rocking em till i eat em up.
-Lindsey super 61 p trim wheel
-Lindsey short throw
-Rogue M-tuneA-tune till new M-tune chip arrives, had an unlucky bad chip, which i may have zapped)
-turbo xs mbc
-exhaust

Non performance related mods:
-TPC headlight delete panel with vent
-Fog to headlight conversion

Replaced/Fixed:
-Head,valve train
-headgasket, upper motor seals/gaskets,waterpump,timing belt, balance shaft belt, rollers
-self made reference/speed sensor harnesses, injector connectors, dme temp connector, water gauge temp connectors, icv connector, knock sensor connector
-new battery grounds
-rear view mirror, drivers side mirror
-hatch
-plugs, wires, rotor, cap
-all vac lines, deleted 90 percent of the junk under there
-rebuilt servicable balljoints, all new control arm bushings

Much more im forgetting.

Well as the car finished up and I got it running I battled a misfire/random cutout that as the car warmed up became very consistent and was a real hair puller. After almost two weeks of being stubborn I broke down and reinstalled my A-tune/afm/stock injectors as a last resort. This was after rewiring 50 percent of the engine bay(not that thats a bad thing in one of these cars). And viola~! Car ran fantastic. I didnt have my MBC in the car as my lindsey one wasnt cooperating and a buddy has my other one atm. So its set on wastegate spring pressure which was about 12psi. It still pulled my techs/business partners beemstanger a 5.0 cobra motor with some internals and an e303 cam. Didnt pull him till 3rd but it still felt good and is nowhere near where the car will be with the M-tune functioning, my full exhaust done, and filled up on e85. It was a damn blessing to be able to drive the car hard for the first time. Videos soon, I will throw in a video of 2 weeks ago when we got the frankenbeemer running. We will take some grudge match vid between us once both cars are safe to abuse a bit.

-bmw vid
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM
RevvAutoMD
Rennlist Member

I will get updated pics loaded on photobucket and up soon.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neglected turbos can get a little expensive but thankfully you own a shop. When I purchased my 951 last year it had a fair body and lots of mods. The car was in need of maintenance and after a year its running pretty good. Still not completely where I would like to be but its getting a lot closer.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great! Glad you got it sorted out finally. What was it - busting knuckles and pulling hairs for 3 straight weeks now? Didn't think you could pull on that monster sounding cobra but third gear pull at speed is where these cars shine.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Good work. These cars have potential - but they are maintainance requiring beasts.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM
RevvAutoMD
Rennlist Member

Oh yes they sure are, luckily this problem made me do a lot of renewing in the wiring i may not have until it caused major issues.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard the p trim wheel in the super 61 made for lag city, like past 4k for full spoolup.

Quick Reply: 944 turbo the horror story, and the happy ending