Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any idea how this could happen? (Brake lights quit working, fuse melted?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Any idea how this could happen? (Brake lights quit working, fuse melted?)

So I was troubleshooting why my brake lights quit working. They just quit randomly and I was notified by my friend following behind me.

When I tried removing the fuse, it was very difficult to do so. After I finally got the fuse out, I was surprised to see that the socket appeared to be melted.

I have only messed with the engine wiring harness, never the interior harness, and have never even been up or around the fuse box.

Here is what it looks like...(Bad fuse slot, good fuse slot, and removed [deformed] fuse).

When it comes to electrical, I don't really know as much as I probably should, but I have no idea why this happened. The fuse was the correct amperage for the slot, and got hot enough to deform the fuse and damage the panel, yet didn't blow the fuse???

Anyone else ever had this problem? I checked voltage to the fuse slot and I get 11.5VDC. It seems to have destroyed the contact, but I can wiggle the voltmeter probe to get the voltage reading.

Last edited by Darwantae951; 04-26-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Corrosion on the fuse contact. I would guess the main problem is on the feed side of the fuse so the added current draw was not though the fuse itself but upstream of the element.
When you get a little corrosion it increases the resistance and it will get hot. This will create more corrosion and then more resistance and then more heat....repeat as needed until something melts!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Ever do anything with the dash lighting?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Ever do anything with the dash lighting?
Replaced the bulbs with factory ones and relined the light tunnels with foil, that's it.

Quick Reply: Any idea how this could happen? (Brake lights quit working, fuse melted?)