Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebuilding M030 front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts

This is truechoice.

Were the M030 rears the same as the Sport rears? I thought the valving was different. The rears are $180 each and fronts are $210 each
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paragon has a 20% off sale on Koni products right now. As was said before, it's more economical to just buy new rears unless you want to convert yours to a different rate or DA.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni...8040-1035s.htm
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

On a related note, I will be swapping our the torsion bars. What bushing should I replace while doing so? I see all kinds of track oriented choices for the rear but this is mainly a street car and I don't want noisy bushings.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I would leave rubber bushings in for a street car. Unless the originals are all falling apart.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 AM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by Oddjob
I would leave rubber bushings in for a street car. Unless the originals are all falling apart.
I was planning on having them rubber - just wanted to replace them while I was in there. Do originals usually hold up after 120k miles?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

They tend to hold up pretty well. I have not seen any of the rear bushings that are destroyed, but Im sure it does happen. Certainly the rear suspension bushings hold up much better than the front swaybar bushings for example.

The rear carrier flange bushings should be fine, since there is no rotation in that joint. Check the inner trailing arm bushings, and the spring plate bushings. But there is a good chance they will be ok.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Elephant Racing makes replacement rubber spring plate bushings. Other than that there are the torsion tube carrier mounts that Porsche sells replacements for a reasonable price.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott H
Elephant Racing makes replacement rubber spring plate bushings. Other than that there are the torsion tube carrier mounts that Porsche sells replacements for a reasonable price.
Should I be ordering these before taking the car apart? From what I understand if I want to stay with rubber ones the OEMs generally don't fail.

Paragon has a 20% off sale on Koni products right now. As was said before, it's more economical to just buy new rears unless you want to convert yours to a different rate or DA.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni...8040-1035s.htm
Also thank you, ordered the rears.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:25 AM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

When you send out the M030 front struts, do you send them out with the springs for more accurate valving? Or just the struts?
And I see two KONI rebuild centers, one in Cali, one in Ohio. Which one would you recommend?

They tend to hold up pretty well. I have not seen any of the rear bushings that are destroyed, but Im sure it does happen. Certainly the rear suspension bushings hold up much better than the front swaybar bushings for example.

The rear carrier flange bushings should be fine, since there is no rotation in that joint. Check the inner trailing arm bushings, and the spring plate bushings. But there is a good chance they will be ok.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:14 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

They will usually charge extra to remove the springs. If you are having them rebuilt stock, no need, they will reuse the existing valving. If you want them custom valved for a different spring rate, then you can tell them corner weights and intended spring rates and they can setup the valving for that application.

Used to have Koni North America rebuild in KY, but they have since outsourced the service to a couple authorized vendors. TrueChoice in OH and Performance Shock in CA. But I think TrueChoice is gone or bought out. Looks like Performance Shock has a shop in OH now, so maybe they bought TrueChoice. Koni website now lists another shop Pro Parts in AZ a a service center (in addition to Performance Shock), but I've never heard of them.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:26 PM
Spdygon
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy new M030
front shocks from 944online.com but each run about $950.
if your originals are leaking just replace both 2 o-rings and fill with new oil.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:42 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will usually charge extra to remove the springs. If you are having them rebuilt stock, no need, they will reuse the existing valving. If you want them custom valved for a different spring rate, then you can tell them corner weights and intended spring rates and they can setup the valving for that application.

Used to have Koni North America rebuild in KY, but they have since outsourced the service to a couple authorized vendors. TrueChoice in OH and Performance Shock in CA. But I think TrueChoice is gone or bought out. Looks like Performance Shock has a shop in OH now, so maybe they bought TrueChoice. Koni website now lists another shop Pro Parts in AZ a a service center (in addition to Performance Shock), but I've never heard of them.
performance shock bought true choice in Ohio. I just had a set rebuilt by them.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:46 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I paid $1,100 for PSI to rebuild mine. OUCH!! The said all the internals needed to be replaced.

Mike G.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:34 PM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

That's crazy. When was this and were your shocks completely toast before you sent them out?

Originally Posted by Mike Goebel
I paid $1,100 for PSI to rebuild mine. OUCH!! The said all the internals needed to be replaced.

Mike G.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:50 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by s85b50
That's crazy. When was this and were your shocks completely toast before you sent them out?
Had this done about 6 months ago.
All they said was that all the internals needed to be replaced with updated stuff. The original estimate was $600.

Painted was $200. That's a bit much actually for my taste. They would have just sandblasted for $25 each shock. In a previous life I was a painter/finisher. They told me they use automotive paint so I figured I'd check the price of automotive paint. It was about $200 so I said go ahead and do it. But when the shocks arrived, don't laugh, I smelled that is was really just rattle can paint.

Thanks
Mike G.

Last edited by Mike Goebel; 07-15-2022 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding M030 front shocks