Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Getting tires mounted - what say you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Getting tires mounted - what say you?

So I don't have tires put on my 951 all that often. Every place I have had it done beats my wheels up a little, notwithstanding their assurances.

The local tire place tells me they do the tires for the Ferrari dealership, and say you just can't mount low-profile tires without marking the wheels.

I could also just order tires from Damon@Tire Rack and have my mechanic mount them and live with any wheel damage, which is what I usually do (and prefer giving these guys the business).

Does it really make any difference?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 AM
aventari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's totally ridiculous, where you live you should be able to find a hundred places that can mount tires without scratching up rims. I would never go back to a shop that says "we can't mount these without marking up the wheels"

What I do is remove the wheels and tires, clean them well (inside AND out) and wax them. Then I bring the wheels and new tires in to the shop off the car and explain to them that I care about the wheels and don't want them scratched. I also talk to the actual guy in the shop mounting the tires and explain to him that I want stick on weights, no scratches, etc and talk a little shop with him.

I find that since I brought in clean wheels and it's obvious that I know what I'm doing and care about my equipment that they treat it pretty well too. And since everything is clean, it's obvious if they damaged them at all.

I'm sure someone in the area could recommend someplace
Old 03-07-2013, 02:35 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aventari

What I do is remove the wheels and tires, clean them well (inside AND out) and wax them.
I did do that - generally my approach. Get all the chemicals and wax on old tires. You could eat off the wheels right now.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:48 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by PEvans
So I don't have tires put on my 951 all that often. Every place I have had it done beats my wheels up a little, notwithstanding their assurances.

The local tire place tells me they do the tires for the Ferrari dealership, and say you just can't mount low-profile tires without marking the wheels.

I could also just order tires from Damon@Tire Rack and have my mechanic mount them and live with any wheel damage, which is what I usually do (and prefer giving these guys the business).

Does it really make any difference?
Really, marking on wheels when mounting tires? Please, Discount Tire was founded here in AZ. Talk to the manager of the store, and he/she will allow you to see the work. Get the best price online, and they will match or beat the price of tires with NO issues towards your wheels as driven into their bays.

Good luck.

George
Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 AM
aventari
Instructor

Originally Posted by PEvans
I did do that - generally my approach. Get all the chemicals and wax on old tires. You could eat off the wheels right now.
Sorry they marked your wheels then.

I know how frustrating it is when it feels like nobody gives a **** about anything.

I can't tell you how many times my father and I talked about buying a tire machine and balancer and doing it right.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
dinodanny
Advanced

I've had to have a shop pay to have all of my polished Phone Dials refinished because of careless technicians gouging the crap out of them. At $200 a wheel for refinishing you would think they would be more careful.
Also, this is off topic but, Hey Aventari, do you own the Scirocco in your avatar? I've had four of these over the years and would love to have another someday.

Quick Reply: Getting tires mounted - what say you?