Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Catalytic Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 AM
BTERRY951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Install

picked up a Cat thanks to a Rennlist member here locally. Am I kidding myself to think I can install this just using jack stands? I am not worried about seized bolts as things were just professionally reassembled two weeks ago. I am comfortable underneath on my back doing the rod bearings this way in an old NA of mine, but can I physically get to the bolts that i need to get to from this position from the bottom only? be nice, I'm a rookie to turbos
Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Yes, no problem. The factory cat is heavy, so a helper would be good, but you can also rest the end of the cat on a jack stand as you undo the front part of it.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 AM
BTERRY951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks. i was worried about being able to reach the bolts at the front end where it curves up toward the turbo.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BTERRY951
thanks. i was worried about being able to reach the bolts at the front end where it curves up toward the turbo.
you will just need a extension with a wobble to remove the (3) 15mm nuts
I must say thank to advice from a friend on this board
I bought these ... best money I ever spent PERIOD
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...tl933fmp6luop1
I know they are very expensive but trust me they are worth every penny and more ...
Its hard to put a value on your life ... if ya know what I mean
Regards
Ed
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good find, never saw flat top jackstands out there. When working under the car I use 8 jackstands, 4 for load and 2 for safety and 2 for holding heavy stuff like exhaust. The rear jack mounts in front of rear wheels on the 951 I just do not trust. It's just surface area so the 6ton jacks go on the rear mounts behind the wheels as well. Paranoia! Lol!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't have to worry about stuck nuts and bolts then it's about a 2 out of 10 on a scale of difficulty. I'd give it a 1 but that stock cat section is a pig.

Originally Posted by numbskull
Good find, never saw flat top jackstands out there. When working under the car I use 8 jackstands, 4 for load and 2 for safety and 2 for holding heavy stuff like exhaust. The rear jack mounts in front of rear wheels on the 951 I just do not trust. It's just surface area so the 6ton jacks go on the rear mounts behind the wheels as well. Paranoia! Lol!
The torsion bar carrier makes a great place to put jacks in the rear. Since the carrier is round it fits in a regular jack nicely and you don't have to worry about slipping. For the front use the frame rails, there are actually cutouts in the fiberglass underpanel to put a jack there. Make sure you get the jack on the frame rail correctly or you may end up deforming that section.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by numbskull
I did the same thing before I got these jacks ...
They are really the only jack that should be used on these cars ...
I am Mr **** when it comes to most things, but I am embarrassed to admit I had two major mishaps ( after 20-30 yrs of never having an issue ) in the last 5 yrs.. In truth it has everything to do with my situation, as far as the garage is laid out is concerned, but still...
These are worth every penny ( and that's coming from a guy who throw nickles around like they are manhole covers)

Originally Posted by Scott H
If you don't have to worry about stuck nuts and bolts then it's about a 2 out of 10 on a scale of difficulty. I'd give it a 1 but that stock cat section is a pig.
The torsion bar carrier makes a great place to put jacks in the rear. Since the carrier is round it fits in a regular jack nicely and you don't have to worry about slipping. For the front use the frame rails, there are actually cutouts in the fiberglass underpanel to put a jack there. Make sure you get the jack on the frame rail correctly or you may end up deforming that section.
Ditto...
But that frame rail is somewhat of a bitch to like up jacks that don't have a flat top and not damage those underpanels ... So I used 2x4 etc ...inserts at the top of the jack stand ... but that can make them less stable ...
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Ditto...
But that frame rail is somewhat of a bitch to like up jacks that don't have a flat top and not damage those underpanels ... So I used 2x4 etc ...inserts at the top of the jack stand ... but that can make them less stable ...
Best regards
Ed
I'll agree with that. I have one of those panels off right now to fix a crack in it from where it got speared by a jack stand. Without those panels there the jackstand fits on the rail just like it should. I think I'll modify the panel by enlarging the cutout to get a better fit once it's back in place.

Before anyone gets under a car they just supported with jack stands, take a second and give the car a few shoves from different angles. If the car moves at all you know you have a stand that isn't positioned correctly. I also put one wheel at each corner laying flat on the ground "just in case."

Quick Reply: Catalytic Install