Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upper balance shaft cover without sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 PM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper balance shaft cover without sealant?

Just removed upper balance shaft cover to fix leaky end oring. Funny thing is that cover just fell off - there was no loctite used at all - mating surfaces are perfectly clean. Is this normal? Car is 88 Turbo S and cover itself was not leaking at all? Do the cars with integrated bearing bridge do not use sealant due to it's thickness - I believe that it always adds some microns and enlarge gap between shaft and bearing?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Not normal. They should have the orange loctite on them. Surprised they did not leak.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by darek_u
Just removed upper balance shaft cover to fix leaky end oring. Funny thing is that cover just fell off - there was no loctite used at all - mating surfaces are perfectly clean. Is this normal? Car is 88 Turbo S and cover itself was not leaking at all? Do the cars with integrated bearing bridge do not use sealant due to it's thickness - I believe that it always adds some microns and enlarge gap between shaft and bearing?
Its hard to see the loctite that they used 20+ yrs ago ... on that part
Mine looked the same way ( LBS cover, like there was nothing on it ) and it didn't leak
Loctite 574 .... is to be used ( If you read up on how this stuff works its pretty amazing ... )
Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's what I thought, just double checking. anyway, it really looked like there was no sealant at all...

Quick Reply: Upper balance shaft cover without sealant?