Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vibration noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default vibration noise

Been chasing a most annoying vibration noise on my '86 since the last turbo replacement. At first it seemed to be the exhaust rubbing somewhere though you can feel it throughout the car.

Yesterday I took it out again since it only does it under load. Noticed when turning right it gets much worse, and one spot turning left it goes away. Does this sound like the steering knuckle heat shield rubbing? The vibration feels like a balance belt being off, then in the one spot turning it goes smooth. Maybe since the heat shield is attached to the motor mount the vibration is more violent as it makes contact?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

it could be a collapsed engine mount causing the exhaust to rub on the subframe. Or it could be a snapped balance shaft belt ( which what Im going through right now )
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Worn cv joints was my cause with similar symptoms.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The muffler on my '86 was pushed up too far because of a bent bracket, causing the exhaust to rub on the bottom of the body. It got worse when hot and was loudest on acceleration. All it took was a sharp mechanic with a good ear and a lot of 944 experience, and a hard tug downward and it was gone for good.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM
numbskull
Racer

Thanks for the replies. Got the car on jack stands again and started tugging on the exhaust. Looks OK though. The steering knuckle heat shield might be rubbing since its awful close to the joint. Need someone to turn the wheel while adjusting underneath so it will have to wait till later. On the fun side the oil dipstick is leaking again. Maybe I will weld it on this time since it's primary job has been to eat new o rings and just leak! Don't know why this was not threaded from the factory.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 PM
numbskull
Racer

Yeah, finally figured it out!! The drivers A arm that bolts closest to the downpipe was making contact with the 3" exhaust. There was enough edge on the A arm mount to grind it down a few mm and adjust the Tri flange. Finally! Now off to the oil leak which looks like the AOS seals, dipstick, rear main or pan gasket... Jobs one wants to avoid.

Quick Reply: vibration noise