Time to replace a clutch master and slave

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013 | 04:36 PM
hansman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace a clutch master and slave

Hello all
Well after failing California smog because of high NO numbers on the 15mph test, I find out today that brake fluid is leaking inside the car under the mat.

So after reading through several posts on this list the consensus is that it cant be just the blue hose as that would leak on the OUTSIDE of the car not on the INSIDE.

I am trying to figure out how big a job this is so if anyone has done this I would appreciate their input on how many hours on jackstands am I looking at to do the job correctly. I have done a few replacement head gasket's that being the largest job I have tackled on a 951 so how does this compare. I was planning on taking the intake off and installing the Lindsey racing Vac hose kit to be sure there are no leaks contributing to the high NO numbers anyway so in theory I should have a bit more room to work while I am in there.

thanks in advance
hansman
89 951
Old 02-22-2013 | 09:22 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not too difficult, just time consuming due to the location. You'll also want to order a new section of blue hose, the two grommets for the brake fluid reservoir (good time to replace them), and the paper gasket that goes between the MC and firewall. You also have to spend a little time under the driver side dash, and whenever you do that I recommend you take the steering wheel off unless you're as skinny as a rail.

The Clark's write up is all I used and I managed it in about 2 hours taking my time. http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-04.htm

Quick Reply: Time to replace a clutch master and slave