Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil consumption, smoke under boost, what to replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is how the spark plugs look. This is the same plug (cylinder 2) with flash and without flash. You can see the ashy deposits on the plug and all plugs look pretty much the same.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

be sure that the AOS and ISV hoses are correctly placed on the intake. If these are wrong you pressurize the crankcase.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by gpr8er
be sure that the AOS and ISV hoses are correctly placed on the intake. If these are wrong you pressurize the crankcase.
Triple checked and the AOS goes from the Jboot to top of AOS and the ISV goes from the manifold to the cold pipe (the pipe between the throttle body and intercooler)
Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Go take a drive and get in the boost. cut the throttle, pull over and remove the intake hose at the throttle body. see if oil is pooling there.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by cruise98
Go take a drive and get in the boost. cut the throttle, pull over and remove the intake hose at the throttle body. see if oil is pooling there.
You mean the cold pipe going from the intercooler to throttle body correct? There is some oil in it, not excessive but some.

There is NO oil in the pipe FROM the turbo to the intercooler (zero oil). Where would the oil be coming from in the cold pipe? The idle valve?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, I got interrupted before I finished my thought.

The compression and leak down are very good, so I do not believe that blowby is an issue. The plugs have some deposits on them which may be from oil that gets in the intake system from the compressor side and then dissipates before it collects anywhere. Any idea how old the plugs are? I thought you could get on the boost until it starts smoking and cut the throttle, shut down the car and pull the hose to see if any oil collects at the throttle plate. If nothing shows up, the oil is probably getting into the hot side which is the more likely scenario.

Oil smoke screen under boost is a classic turbo failure. It is a much less expensive repair than an engine as well.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by cruise98
Sorry, I got interrupted before I finished my thought.

The compression and leak down are very good, so I do not believe that blowby is an issue. The plugs have some deposits on them which may be from oil that gets in the intake system from the compressor side and then dissipates before it collects anywhere. Any idea how old the plugs are? I thought you could get on the boost until it starts smoking and cut the throttle, shut down the car and pull the hose to see if any oil collects at the throttle plate. If nothing shows up, the oil is probably getting into the hot side which is the more likely scenario.

Oil smoke screen under boost is a classic turbo failure. It is a much less expensive repair than an engine as well.
Yes, I don't see much oil if at all on the intake tract and throttle body. They are pretty clean - the compressor is not putting oil in the intake (compressor outlet is dry) and neither is the AOS/crankcase vent - they are all dry in 2000km.

Those plugs are pretty new and have around 2000km on them. If the plugs were completely clean of ash I would totally be on the same page that it's just the turbo.

I could just swap turbos, I have a spare 26/6 I can try. I am just a little worried about the sparkplug deposits and was thinking either valve seals or oil control rings (not compression rings) but it seems you folks don't think this may be the case which in my opinion would be great.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smoke under boosted acceleration - blue smoke and strong smell.
I once thought I had this problem just after the purchase of a California Car. Looked in the Rearview Mirror while in Third, and I was sure the Engine had exploded. Immediately pulled over to check it out. Two black trails a car width apart pointed to the problem, - warm weather Tires.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
I once thought I had this problem just after the purchase of a California Car. Looked in the Rearview Mirror while in Third, and I was sure the Engine had exploded. Immediately pulled over to check it out. Two black trails a car width apart pointed to the problem, - warm weather Tires.
I wish the answer was that fun. Unfortunately my smoke is coming from the tailpipe. I will get a vide of this once the rain clears up.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption, smoke under boost, what to replace