Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cracked headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked headers?

This is what I discovered after removing headers - looks like hair size cracks. Is this acceptable or I should give them for re-welding? I would weld them anyway but local shop that deals with stainless welding is damn expensive... What to do?
Attached Images    
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you water test them ? The reason I ask is that's a little difficult to see ..
If they are cracked you are lucky they are cracked there ... Most times they crack at the branch points and it seems most say its tough to fix.. ( both to weld and stay fixed and to remove the HS )Those look a lot easier to fix because they are at the end and you don't have to remove the heat shielding
regards
Ed
Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Since they were off I had mine welded up around the flanges and at the Y's...then had them coated. We cut the heat shields off to get in there and since I had them coated didn't see the need to try attaching them again (which would have been a bitch).

Hope this helps.
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM
darek_u
Pro

Did you water test them ? The reason I ask is that's a little difficult to see ..
what do you mean saying that? what water test? this crack (if it really is a crack) is really hard to see but does not seem to be weld imperfection. i just wanted to know if i should bother or go ahead and put it back after cleaning
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I think it's smart as a preventive measure regardless..
Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by darek_u
what do you mean saying that? what water test? this crack (if it really is a crack) is really hard to see but does not seem to be weld imperfection. i just wanted to know if i should bother or go ahead and put it back after cleaning
Testing them under water ( With the pipes under some air pressure ) will disclose any and all cracks .. Then you know where all the cracks are ... I used plugs and duct tape to do the short test ...
( you know, how you test a leak in a inner tube tire? ) ... Regardless the easiest fix is to have them welded around the flanges... As Racerxrick said if you have a crack at the Y then you have to remove the HS to make the repair
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI> I have a very nice used pair. $400 shipped to 48 states.

TonyG

Quick Reply: Cracked headers?