Mahle Pistons/rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mahle Pistons/rings

Waaaaayyyy back when, JAB Racing did a few piston sets with Mahle, about 25 after the first three runs were done (LR now has those) but I just wanted to give a report of bores, with a set of 101mm.

As many know here, you and your machine shop get the clearance wrong with the piston (machine work, missing the expansion rate of the pistons, ring placement etc) you can screw up an engine quickly.

Our machine shop has been really good in the past, they did get one RL engine a bit tight out in AZ but it worked out. So measuring as you should from the factory specs above the piston skirt, setting the desired clearance for the shop....and off you go with a proper bore.

Just want to report, after breaking down the track car motor due to some unexpected lower than desired oil pressure when normal op temp; the bores look absolutely !#&*# great. They are polished, line and scratch free, and the little residue at the top matches the depth of the top ring soooooo....very very pleased with the pistons.

If someone can resize since my resize program is not working right, I can email it to someone to post it. I'll keep trying...
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

The reflections are just that from the drop light, photo taken with iPad. When I popped the head a buddy of mine just went "wow, those walls are great".
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice when things work out. What boost is generally run and what was it tuned with?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

The race car runs 17psi, 104 unleaded with LR MAF III and Mafterburner. Dyno before the tear down was 348/345 on rich tune.
Hoping for 355/350 when tuned, 18psi just shy of 370 is our hope; last engine was 351/348 @17psi.

Quick Reply: Mahle Pistons/rings