Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo S "Rose"? Someone stop me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo S "Rose"? Someone stop me!

I don't know why I bother looking at cars when I'm not really in market for one! Came across this ad locally:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ445185200

Dirt cheap! But this was the car that I absolutely fell in love with when I was a teenager.

I have to give a BIT of history so bear with me. My friends older brother was in the market for a sports car, but he knew nothing about cars, so he gave me and his brother a list of cars for us to check out for him. A 944 turbo was on the list. So off we went, all of 18 years old, to the Porsche dealership. Not only did he pull out a car for us, he then proceeded to give me $20 in case I needed more gas for the car!!!! He then just walked away. My friend and I are staring at each other, then the IKEA ad runs through our head - START THE CAR, START THE CAR. Was the most amazing "Ferris Bueller" kind of day. It was a used Turbo S Rose - plaid interior and all. I knew one day I'd have to find one.

This one looks close. ROUGH condition by the pics, but if the engine is strong, for $5000, I'd be happy to put at least that amount into the car to get it back to snuff.

Someone please buy it before I do something stupid...

I don't have to tell you guys, this is one of the most fun cars to drive EVER. Seems like they have held up pretty well too when looked after.

Will a Turbo S "survive" as a daily driver?

Cheers!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Turbo S will definitely survive as a daily driver (as long as the belts and fluids and blah blah blah). You will eventually run into several different mechanical breakdowns along your course of daily drivership, depending on what's been done in the recent past (clutch, hoses, etc.) but you will not likely run into mechanical issues due to spirited or heavy footed driving habits. They are stout cars and can take the abuse no problem.

Regarding that particular car, I was intrigued by the initial $5k price tag.... but then I see they replaced the VERY strong and valuable AOR trans with a basic UY, and replaced the Turbo S big brakes for the regular 951 brakes. Those are two of the several main special features distinguishing a Turbo S that personally I would be saddened without. My thoughts are you should investigate a little more into the car, and why those parts were replaced when they never should have been. Hopefully the larger turbo and sway bars and some of the other parts are still on it. My only guess is that they used those parts as an upgrade for another 944 possibly a track car or something. Either way, $5k might still be a good deal, but only after a thorough investigation!

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch

Dirt cheap! But this was the car that I absolutely fell in love with when I was a teenager.

I have to give a BIT of history so bear with me. My friends older brother was in the market for a sports car, but he knew nothing about cars, so he gave me and his brother a list of cars for us to check out for him. A 944 turbo was on the list. So off we went, all of 18 years old, to the Porsche dealership. Not only did he pull out a car for us, he then proceeded to give me $20 in case I needed more gas for the car!!!! He then just walked away. My friend and I are staring at each other, then the IKEA ad runs through our head - START THE CAR, START THE CAR. Was the most amazing "Ferris Bueller" kind of day. It was a used Turbo S Rose - plaid interior and all. I knew one day I'd have to find one.

Cheers!

cool story. when was this about ?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 AM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is also missing the clubsport wheels and the front seats have been changed. All in all, it is missing many of the TS features.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No 'Turbo S' badge either. Seems it might just be a regular turbo from '88.

If the car's in 'ROUGH' condition, then $5k probably isn't going to end up being a good deal for you, after all the possible maintenance required.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

I don't like it, too many parts not originals show that the car has not been cured...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't buy a Rose with a sunroof.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drift a 944
A Turbo S will definitely survive as a daily driver (as long as the belts and fluids and blah blah blah). You will eventually run into several different mechanical breakdowns along your course of daily drivership, depending on what's been done in the recent past (clutch, hoses, etc.) but you will not likely run into mechanical issues due to spirited or heavy footed driving habits. They are stout cars and can take the abuse no problem.

Regarding that particular car, I was intrigued by the initial $5k price tag.... but then I see they replaced the VERY strong and valuable AOR trans with a basic UY, and replaced the Turbo S big brakes for the regular 951 brakes. Those are two of the several main special features distinguishing a Turbo S that personally I would be saddened without. My thoughts are you should investigate a little more into the car, and why those parts were replaced when they never should have been. Hopefully the larger turbo and sway bars and some of the other parts are still on it. My only guess is that they used those parts as an upgrade for another 944 possibly a track car or something. Either way, $5k might still be a good deal, but only after a thorough investigation!

Good luck!
Thanks for the insight - I missed the Transmission part.
Was concerned about the brake change as well - wondering if they were taken out for another project, or replaced with less expensive brakes as things wore out...

Originally Posted by odurandina
cool story. when was this about ?
1989 - car was barely a year old at the time, belonged to one of the owners and was a "demo" car at the time.

Originally Posted by gmsracing
It is also missing the clubsport wheels and the front seats have been changed. All in all, it is missing many of the TS features.
I love the clubsport wheels and would be the first thing I would put back on such a car.

I agree, the more I look at it, there is much more than just cosmetics that need to be fixed to bring it back to a true Rose. I'm not even going to tempt myself to see how she runs.

Thank you all. The search continues!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
I wouldn't buy a Rose with a sunroof.
All silver rose cars came with a sunroof.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

I daily drive my 951, love it. If you take a little care of these cars and avoid the nasty days it goes a long way and will stay nice.
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Define "All".
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-car...01301214992969

Apparently not all had sunroofs (maybe in US/Canada?)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Mine is a Euro 88 Turbo "S" Silver Rose with no sunroof.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I think MichelleJD went and drove this car for another Rennlister a few weeks ago. She posted her impressions along with pictures.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Here ya go: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...onto-area.html

Quick Reply: Turbo S "Rose"? Someone stop me!