Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Torque Tube rebuild complete. Never want to do that again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi James,

We are very glad to hear about your success in rebuilding your TT!

Nice write up too, thank you for the very kind words about our products and the end results.

Kind regards,

Last edited by Black Sea RD; 01-22-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I am pretty sure he does not rebuild them anymore, only sells the bearings for DIY'ers. I think I was the last person he rebuilt one for. He did an awesome job and it was cheap versus the nightmare of doing it yourself.
Great to see a post from you, hope your TT is doing well!

Well we tried to stop but many customers still wanted this service done. So we designed and made a dismantling tool that makes it almost fun to dismantle the TTs now. So we can still offer this service for those who want it.

Cheers,
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Constantine
Hi James,

We are very glad to hear about your success in rebuilding your TT!

Nice write up too, thank you for the very kind words about our products and the end results.

Kind regards,
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I am pretty sure he does not rebuild them anymore, only sells the bearings for DIY'ers. I think I was the last person he rebuilt one for. He did an awesome job and it was cheap versus the nightmare of doing it yourself.
Great to see a post from you, hope your TT is doing well!

Well we tried to stop but many customers still wanted this service done. So we designed and made a dismantling tool that makes it almost fun to dismantle the TTs now. So we can still offer this service for those who want it.

Cheers,
Great to hear from you as well! Glad you are offering this great service again! Wish I could give you a better update, but honest to God car is still not done! The longest build known to mankind!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh, what could the tool possibly be?

Hope all is well Constantine! In case I haven't said it in a while - thank you for making these available for our cars!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Constantine how much do you charge for a rebuilt Torque tube?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

His web site says they charge $150 for the re-build, which of course does not include the new bearings or the round trip shipping costs. Probably can get the whole thing done for under $1K. Plus they will refurb the outside of the unit so it will basically look brand new. Sounds like a good deal to me. Think I may opt to do it that way.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I would have had Constantine do the rebuild but honestly what I feared were the shipping costs.

IMO $150 to have him do it IS A STEAL. But I have to imagine that shipping a TT from Chicago to Florida would probably be around $100 one way, and that's putting a lot of faith in FedEx or UPS to not totally destroy the thing on the trip. So now you're looking at $350 to have it done... and I started to weigh it against my own time, and knowing there were good DIY instructions out there, I decided to give it a shot.

I think the only reason I'm glad I did it myself in the end was because my trans rebuild worked out to be a few bucks more than I expected and this was an opportunity to save a few $$$ on the overall winter project. Had my trans come in closer to what I was originally expecting, I would have preferred in hindsight to just send the TT down to Constantine.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

You can tell I have a bad bearing in mine as it rattles when idling in neutral...when you put the clutch in it goes away (since the tube is disengaged at that time).

Would really like to have this repair done (notice I didn't say "do this repair!).

Good job Jim..
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxrick
You can tell I have a bad bearing in mine as it rattles when idling in neutral...when you put the clutch in it goes away (since the tube is disengaged at that time).
You could also be hearing the trans bearings. When unloaded the trans bearings will rattle like rolling marbles in a can, will be worse when the trans is hot vs cold. Torque tube bearings tend to sound more like bad wheel bearings, grinding.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
You could also be hearing the trans bearings. When unloaded the trans bearings will rattle like rolling marbles in a can, will be worse when the trans is hot vs cold. Torque tube bearings tend to sound more like bad wheel bearings, grinding.
hmm...could be
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

How would one ship the TT?
Certainly a single pallet wouldn't do it.
Strap it to two pallets?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwc951
How would one ship the TT?
Certainly a single pallet wouldn't do it.
Strap it to two pallets?
I saw Constantine's prefered method somewhere, basically you wrap it in a bunch of styrofoam "noodles" that your kids use in the pool.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you could pallet it standing up as long as its less than 8 feet long
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It has been a long while, but I used the preferred method and it was quite cheap from OK to FL return, considering the weight. No pallet needed. If I recall about $75 each way. TT is very heavy.

Quick Reply: Torque Tube rebuild complete. Never want to do that again.