Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost Stability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the responses and for the data. I will post more when I have a chance to do some testing under load.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the data rate in post #1?
I would double check the pressure pickup by T-ing in a (mechanical) boost gauge.
You may have oil in the vacuum line and (hopefully not) in the MAP sensor.
You definitely need a multiport Vacuum Manifold (new batch in process).

Laust
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

I believe 5 samples per second. Connected regulated pressure air going into the turbo, pressurized the entire intake, hooked up the laptop and collected data with the motor not turning. Pressure readings were very stable. Reading of the boost gauge and the computer track together.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I know this is probably totally unrelated but those MBCs do get a buildup of gunk in them and need to be cleaned out from time to time. This had given us a few glitches in the past.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 AM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I know this is probably totally unrelated but those MBCs do get a buildup of gunk in them and need to be cleaned out from time to time. This had given us a few glitches in the past.
True. Have rebuilt the Lindsey MBC I've had for ten years once, seven years ago. I first had it under the hood and after a few years it failed. The internal plastic (Nylon?) parts didn't do well with the engine compartment temperatures. Moved it to the glove box.

Then in recent months, the MBC was slowly becoming imprecise until yesterday it stopped responding and wouldn't adjust down from 19psi. Had also been getting some seemingly erratic readings on the boost gauge for awhile. It seemed to stick a little on the sweep sometimes which I attributed to the gauge maybe acting up. Suspect now it might be related to the MBC failing.

So yesterday I took the MBC apart. The plastic tube-stem under the diaphragm was stuck, sort of frozen in there, and broke off while trying to dismantle it. After removing all of the plastic parts, I emptied what looked close to a tablespoon of carbon powder out of the housing. I was shocked at how much carbon debris was in there.

Ordering a rebuild kit from Lindsey for 15 bucks tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 AM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
What is the data rate in post #1?
I would double check the pressure pickup by T-ing in a (mechanical) boost gauge.
You may have oil in the vacuum line and (hopefully not) in the MAP sensor.
You definitely need a multiport Vacuum Manifold (new batch in process).

Laust
Laust, glad your making these again I'm in for one when they're available.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:54 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

The root cause of the erratic data in the original post turned out to be the ground cable. I replaced the battery to motor and battery to chassis ground cables and it smoothed out.

Quick Reply: Boost Stability?