Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Check out safe guard knock control if you want a clever knock control system. It uses one sensor and it can figure out which cylinder is knocking and retard just that cylinder.
Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Porsche claims the KLR does the same thing...
Originally Posted by Thom
It can't since spark is not sequential on a factory set up. Whether it will make a big difference in performance gives room for debate though.
...The ignition (spark) is absolutely sequential on the factory setup.

In order to do cylinder-specific ignition retard, the KLR doesn't even have to know which physical cylinder is knocking - it only has to 'mark' which cylinder is knocking, then count three ignition events and it will be right back to the 'marked' cylinder, ready to retard just that upcoming ignition event.

Originally Posted by Paulyy
the safe guard is based on the KLR
Yes. He used the KLR as inspiration, in an effort to keep his turbocharged Fiat 131 Sedan together... I still have an old email discussing this with him directly.

Originally Posted by Thom
Yes, and coupled with a modern/fast ECU and set up in full sequential the J&S will offer very smooth performance.
Sequential injection's primary benefit is emissions, and perhaps economy as a secondary. And both only coming into real use at low RPMs. At higher rpms & loads the injection event is significantly long (relative to engine cycle time) that sequential becomes essentially batch-fire anyway.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
...The ignition (spark) is absolutely sequential on the factory setup.
I ignored that. I got confused with fuel injection, which is not sequential on the 951 Motronic.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Sequential injection's primary benefit is emissions, and perhaps economy as a secondary. And both only coming into real use at low RPMs. At higher rpms & loads the injection event is significantly long (relative to engine cycle time) that sequential becomes essentially batch-fire anyway.
Well, I can say that my modern ECU makes for significantly smoother engine operation than my previous Motronic-based equipment, pretty much regardless of load, boost or RPM. Since I have never been able to get to look at the core of the tune with the Motronic stuff, I would conceide that maybe it's just a matter of tune, but I honestly doubt it.

One thing that batch injection cannot do is varying injection timing, which can help with cooling the back of the intake valve and help against detonation/knock.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, full batch fired ignition would not be such a good idea!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Here's a pretty good and very old thread explaining how the KLR pulls ignition on a cylinder by cylinder basis. TT hasn't posted in a long time (unless secretly under another name?), but is or was one of the propeller heads when Vitesse first cracked and re-wrote the operative code for the DME.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-wire-9-a.html

Quick Reply: Question for 3 Liter guys