Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo oil return housing

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Turbo oil return housing

Hey all, it's been a few weeks taking the car apart to replace the turbo. The new unit was built on the bench and I did a quick test fit tonight.
The new turbonetics oil return housing/mating surface is too narrow, where the infamous allen head bolts(biggy/shorty I call them now) mount does not quite cover the o-ring on the car's oil outlet housing. No doubt this would leak, and it's definitely going to have to be modified to fit. The turbonetics oil outlet on the bottom of the new turbo has a square oil outlet and is much smaller surface than the k26 as far as mounting space for the o-ring. When mounted, the o-ring sticks out on the stock 951 oil return housing. Not sure if anyone has a kit for this, still looking around. Most oil return solutions I found are AN fitting adapter plates for cars without an oil return line in a fantastic incredible motor mount housing!! How awesomely fantastico for that one, and it is my favorite design of all time right now!! weee

My though was to make an adapter plate to extend the pressure surface of the turbo mount bolts/housing that would cover the o-ring overlap area. This would work fine for the car's oil housing and o-ring mating surface, but I think a custom gasket on the top part of the adapter might be necessary as well for any top leaks. Then there is possible clearance issues to factor in. I'm attaching a few pictures if anyone has any input or good jokes it is much appreciated.

Last edited by numbskull; 11-23-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always used a T4 oil return gasket and the old triple-k o-ring together. I put a light coat of hylomar on the o-ring to help seal. There is no pressure or anything at that flange, just vacuum actually.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. Decided to grind down an aluminum plate to cover the oring, then hylomar top and bottom. forgot that I bought some nice aluminum plate stock on ebay a while back, gonna see how that works. Could not score any stock copper sheet..anywhere, but hopeful a no leak solution will come through for this job !
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Mikes-951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i was wondering how this worked out for you? i am running into the exact issue on my LR super 75 turbocharger.

Quick Reply: Turbo oil return housing