Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dutch Rennsport 944 racer build(s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Jan Mertens
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dutch Rennsport 944 racer build(s)

Hello people,

After reading many of your topics (with much enjoyment I must ad) and even emailing and chatting with some of you in person I have decided to start my own topic here.

Let me introduce myself first:
My name is Jan Mertens 23 years old, and from the Netherlands.
Almost 2 years ago now i started my own race team as a project from my school. In May last year we started building our first car (nicknamed "Marieke") and in March this year i finally got my track licence with that same car having finished it about a day before at 3 in the night and driving for 3 days straight on the circuit of Assen.

[/IMG]

The car below is as it was with the first real race we did on the circuit of Zandvoort with one of my (race) buddy's Ramon.

"Marieke" was once a Porsche 944 turbo model year 1986 but when we found her in a shed she looked like this. Keep in mind we started with a 1500,- payment from school and had to work from scratch so at that time it was the most brilliant car (or chassis) we had ever seen.

The suspension was sponsored 1/2 by Intrax and the rest came from a crashed S2 near our place at a scrapyard that had been there for about 5 years. And because it was going to be scrapped we got it all for a very low amount of money. All the bushings were removed and replaced with Powerflex and the rest was sourced in bits and pieces from various places. The gearbox came from a 944 NA from 1986 that before crashing had a very expensive (race) oil change. We replaced it this August with one from a scrapyard from an S2 which happened to be an AOT with an LSD that performs very well (after an oil change). The engine we are using is a late 94 3L from a 968. Also sourced from scrapyard car we found here in Holland. Al in al it took us about 1,2 year to build the car with a lot of hours invested in getting money from sponsors and building our car.

IF you want more pictures go to our Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/teamdutchrennsport
And please do like, comment and follow us!

Well having said that here comes the part that isn't that great which is before the last race training with another buddy of mine the car crashed at one of the most f*cked up corners in Zandvoort and is currently undergoing mayor surgery..

This is the back which could be repaired with a few evenings grinding, cutting and welding because we got a spare back end from Flipo (our belgium friend also on the forum). The front end up until the shock towers is toast as well..

Now here comes my question to all of you here on the forum:
have any of you ever got to read the topic from Hans Burg. He is a fellow racing driver from Holland who up until a few years back had a beautifully modified 944 Turbo S.
The car in question had a subframe in front. On his topic it said he would be willing to share this info.

A picture of the car in question:

If you have the info would any of you be willing to share the drawings? Or do any of you have a similar design. Our school has a technical department that want to make a similar frame and wants to run computer simulations on it.

Hope you guys can help me!

Kind regards and keep up the good work here on Rennlist!

Last edited by Jan Mertens; 12-06-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to picture!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome! And nice looking car, especially with what it started as and the relatively short build time.

Search for threads or posts by "HansB" you should be able to find more pictures and information about his build.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We achieved similar results doing things a slightly different way. First thing to do is to outline your goals and objectives and then design the system to fit.

Do you want to improve downforce?
Do you want to zeus fasten panels?
Do you want to simplify brake cooling?
Do you want lights?
What will the rules allow?

Safety is another factor, we retained the trumpets and original bumpers to maximize safety while minimizing damage to the engine in a significant front impact (I have had two such shunts).
Attached Images     
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I want to go to your school
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Jan Mertens
Track Day

Originally Posted by disasterman
We achieved similar results doing things a slightly different way. First thing to do is to outline your goals and objectives and then design the system to fit.

Do you want to improve downforce?
Yes always but that is not the main reason we are looking to build a frame up front. The main concern is the damage and i personally hate that you can't reach the engine easily.

Do you want to zeus fasten panels?
If this means bolting it to the front so we can disassemble it and thus reach the engine more easily then yes.

Do you want to simplify brake cooling?
Brake cooling has not been an issue yet the car still has its original power (even more because of the open air filter and the exhaust) 241hp. and we run stock 968 brakes front and rear with Porsche discs and CL blocks.

Do you want lights?
We are not using them at the moment but we have modified the front plate Carrera GT style with the lexan covers so we can ad them later. We are planning to run endurance races in the future so then we are going need lights but for the moment isn't very important.

What will the rules allow?
If you maintain the stock towers just about everything. You can do just about everything as long as you keep safety in mind. I would like to have a frame that protects the engine too .

Safety is another factor, we retained the trumpets and original bumpers to maximize safety while minimizing damage to the engine in a significant front impact (I have had two such shunts).
Do you have some more pictures of your frame? Or maybe schematics of the frame itself? We have the front of a NA from 1983 available so maybe we could make something similar to your design?

Thank you guys for the nice reactions! Don't know how to quote more than one person but it's much appreciated!

Last edited by Jan Mertens; 12-06-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Color!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Send me an e mail and I will be happy to send you what you need in measurements and photos. I have a soft spot for the Dutch, my entire family (VanDeKerkhof) came from Holland and I grew up with some colorful off color sayings.

The theory behind our build was to strip the front to the trumpets and build back only what was necessary. Making a list and a plan kept things tidy. One of the first things we eliminated was the stock radiator mount. By crafting a simple forward leaning mount we were able to direct air flow up with accompanied ducting, increasing downforce while improving cooling.

e mail jstevens@iscservices.net
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hans has some great threads on this forum, I think this one in particularly may be what you are after.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Lol, Jim since when did Van De Kerkhof translate into Stevens in English?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Jan Mertens
Track Day

@Disasterman emailing now TY!

@Thingo that is the tread i read and which made me start thinking about replacing the front with a (sub)frame. I have seen the car in real life once but the builder isn't willing to share the schematics of the frame unlike Hans. But i quit like the way Disaster made use of the original frame beams. We have a spare front available and maybe it is better suited to our car then the Frame Hans made.

On a side note:
few months ago we also started building on a full frame front and rear Porsche 944 turbo inspired by the build tread Tony Garcia started here on Rennlist. But because of the damage to "Marieke" that is a project that we will continue after the repairs.

Background info on this car:
I was following the thread of Tony G. when a fellow racer called me he crashed his 1989 turbo S. He already planned to swap his chassis after the season but with the damage he got while racing this summer during that race. He moved his plan ahead and swapped the chassis, engine etc. in 3 weeks time.

He was stuck with his old chassis and asked me if we knew any use for it. Because i thought the Tony G. build is the coolest 944 i have ever seen but we don't have the money nor the resources for the (awesome) GT3 stuff i thought we could compromise and build it with a by school designed suspension and tubular front and rear. we started taking of al the unnecessary junk like the tank mount, roof and rear flanges. Weld the entire tub and then have it sand blasted and start designing a front and rear that is tubular and can be removed in 5-10 mins.

A lot of plans we got bits and pieces ready but again because of the damage we need to focus on "Marieke" for the moment.

As it is now the entire tub is welded through (not sure how to say this in proper english) and looks like this:

This was 3 weeks ago we cut of some more weight etc. but the car still looks like this. Front and rear both had a lot of damage but from the shock towers at the front to the shock mounts at the rear it doesn't have damage so the basis is quite good.

Anyhow back to the frame we might also use the design although a little bit different for this car.

Grts from Holland (where it is snowing and the weather is bad today),
Jan

Last edited by Jan Mertens; 12-07-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I claim mom's heritage. Dad's side has been here since the Mayflower and kind of dull. It's selective family history editing.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Aha...
Great build pics too Jim. Car looks Pro-team clean!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
flipo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leuke foto's jan!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Jan Mertens
Track Day

Ah there he is our Belgium neighbor who gave us the red rear of a turbo body that we are now using to rebuild the rear end of our car!

Tnx again Flipo!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
flipo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You my friend are welcome!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish someone in my area was building awesome stuff like this, Id totally Help out

Quick Reply: Dutch Rennsport 944 racer build(s)