Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What turbo do I have and oil feed

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What turbo do I have and oil feed

I recently picked up 2.8l 1986 951. I brought a thread a few months ago trying to find more info on it.It was previously owned by bscpanther. I started to tear into it to fix some problems like rich stumble off throttle. Replacing all engine sensors and oxygen sensor,tps,cep fuel rail,55lbs injectors.ill post the mods that are known when I get to my PC. What turbo do I have and what type of oil feed is this?never saw one like it and its leaking alot,seems like the oring deteriorated or the PO didn't put a crush ring. Sorry I don't have any measurements on hand. It has some play forward and reverse,about 1mm but none left to right. I don't notice any smoke at idle or on boost but noticed alot of oil film in my intake,but none in my catche can.thanks for your help...

edit here is the mods that are known off of his signature.

2.8L dry sleeve/MLS cometic HG/ ARP studs/ Knifed crossed drilled balanced crank/ 951 forged shot peened rods/ JE pistons/ LR oil pan baffle/ assembly balanced. LR 3" exhaust. 951MAX chips. 3 bar FPR. MBC. Tial 38mm. KKK#8. SM OCC. Mo30 sways. K&N air Filter. 968 door panels. Zeitronix.

since the purchase, ive installed a VR Wasted Spark Kit ( which turned out to be the very first prototype from special_tool). Currently the top end is apart and im thinking if this turbo is no good ( since i can hear some whirling sound instead of the nice spool sound, hard to explain and i dont know if that is due to the oil feed leak) i have a low mileage k27/8 im looking to install.

Last edited by shortyboy; 12-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pictures aren't up

Is there film of oil before the turbo?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

pics are up. Hi Pauly,
yes there is film in the MAF pipe.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
pics are up. Hi Pauly,
yes there is film in the MAF pipe.
yep i now see them!

first the film in in your maf means the catch can isn't doing it's job. what brand is it? if it's ebay it's most likely rubbish.

2nd whats KKK#8? you have a precision turbo, not sure having a KKK#8 rear housing on that is possible? anyway it is a precision turbo. that's all i can tell you about it.

I see what the PO has done to the oil line. as the stock oil line doesn't work you have to go custom which is easy. You can replace it, if you want to. make your own AN fittings for it. the hose is -6 if you do so. just need to work out what thread goes into the turbo.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

i have a saiko michi catch can, which i believe was bought as part of a group buy here on RL. when I was removing the catch can, i noticed the hose off of the AOS just came off and wasnt tight, going to have to relocate it since its mounted where my CEP FPR is going to be. I know for a fact that this isnt a KKK #8 hot side, maybe a #10 replica?downpipe seems to be a KKK 4 bolt type and crossover pipe uses a gasket of some type. In the classifieds add it mentions its a T4 turbo rated to 600hp, but no mention of spec of turbo. Is it possible to use copper/aluminum washers on this turbo feed fitting or teflon tape ( idk just throwing out ideas, lol ). Ive checked lindsey racing and cant seem to find the right type of fitting. ill take more pictures of the fitting since it looks like an oil restrictor as well.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

just contacted Precision Turbo, i asked if there was any marks i could see to identify what turbo i have and he said most likely there will be some casting marks on the rear turbin housing but most of the time theyre behind the clamps. I also inquired about the special adapter the PO put in and said it had a restrictor and was informed that all precision turbos do not need a restrictor. ill get more pictures of the restrictor when i get home. hmm, looks like im gonna be either sending this turbo in for rebuild, install my K27/8 7200 or buy a new turbo. From what I can tell, the PO installed a custom DP with a 4 bolt flange and the turbo inlet flange looks to be aftermarket as well, which is great, as Im looking at a GTX or GT3076R or something similar.

Quick Reply: What turbo do I have and oil feed