Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Troubleshooting schreeching noise on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Troubleshooting schreeching noise on acceleration

I have been working on resurecting an '86 951 for awhile now and have encountered a noise issue. Once the car warms up it emits a metallic scraping-like noise upon acceleration - it's like fingernails on a blackboard. I believe it is coming from the engine area. Any thoughts on what to check? The car is apart right now having belts replaced. Can the turbocharger start making noise like this when it fails? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try pinching off the vacuum line to the fuel vapor purge diaphragm, if you still have it. Mine ruptured about a year ago and it sounded like a cross between nails on a chalkboard and what I imagine it would sound like if someone squeezed a duck really hard.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It turns out that the balance shaft was 180 degrees out of sync ; once that was fixed the buzzing and vibration went away. The screeching noise turned out to be the exhaust scraping against the bottom of the car, that was fixed by repositioning some brackets. The car is running great now - forgot how nice these cars are to drive!

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting schreeching noise on acceleration