Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modified clutch disc

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
JFreeman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified clutch disc

So I was looking for a 930 disc to utilize all of the facing on the flywheel and pp. Went to a clutch and brake place where we buy rebuilt clutches for semi trucks. They are going to put new material on my old stock disc, but instead of stock size it will be wider like the 930. I have had them install new material in other discs before without problems, and never had a problem with their rebuilt semi truck clutches, so I trust their work. Anyone ever done this before? I should have the final price and the disc back next week sometime. Also, they said the dampen springs were a little loose, but they have a special tool to stretch them back out, so no problems there either.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by JFreeman
So I was looking for a 930 disc to utilize all of the facing on the flywheel and pp. Went to a clutch and brake place where we buy rebuilt clutches for semi trucks. They are going to put new material on my old stock disc, but instead of stock size it will be wider like the 930. I have had them install new material in other discs before without problems, and never had a problem with their rebuilt semi truck clutches, so I trust their work. Anyone ever done this before? I should have the final price and the disc back next week sometime. Also, they said the dampen springs were a little loose, but they have a special tool to stretch them back out, so no problems there either.
I had a cup disk relined by southbend, and it worked fine. Is your disk a true 951 stock disk with the smaller set of springs? Those springs are a menance and are prone to popping out and ruining a perfectly good clutch job. If not too late, I'd vote for a cup or 930 disk without that extra set of little spings...
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thicker? I would not make the clutch thicker. Anything thicker than 8.5mm is a risk of not having the clutch disengage.

And it isn't exactly the type of job you want to do twice...

You may choose a different material (metallic or ceramic), or you may choose to modify the pressure plate for greater clamping force. But thicker? I don't see the benefit. These are pretty good clutches, and unless you're racing, you should get a few years out of your clutch....
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 AM
JFreeman
Instructor

Tom, I know exactly what you are talking about with the springs, that is a very common thing with the semi truck clutches. It is a true 951 disc, but I trust their judgement with the springs.
Lee, the disc material will not necessarily be thicker, but wider. Basically we are making the 951 disc match the 930 disc. From what they told me, ceramic is not an option for this disc because of the way it is made. But, if I had a disc that was originally ceramic, they would be able to install new ceramic pads on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 AM
JFreeman
Instructor

Picked up the clutch disc today, $60 out the door. Should have the car back together in about a month to test everything out.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Modified clutch disc