Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Raising compression

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks Shawn. I had that impression but I know that Josh and Sid had been dealing with those issues over time. Sounds like the cylinder stabilisation has helped cure that...along with good tuning.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks Shawn. I had that impression but I know that Josh and Sid had been dealing with those issues over time. Sounds like the cylinder stabilisation has helped cure that...along with good tuning.
...and keeping CR lower. Not exactly sure what Sid's final CR was but IIRC it was just a little higher than stock.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Thomas - it really depends on the kind of fuel used; the turbo used; the engine specifics (bore, stroke, which head, ect), even the type of load the engine will see...

But to not just leave it in ambiguity, we have pushed pretty hard in Sid's car. His car has a nice big turbo (slightly bigger than a GT35r), and is a stroker setup, still using the 8v head, massive intercooler, and running E85 with a 5th injector injecting fuel right before the throttle-body, which further aids in cooling the intake charge. Sid obviously runs my 3D mapping, but I can pull out just the 16psi column data to show as an example: (and yes, this is a LOT of timing lead)
Joshua,

Do you think the additional stroke of Sid's motor, thus lower rod/stroke ratio, is a factor in his motor liking more timing?

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/rod-tech-c.htm
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely; that and the quench setup.
With the added stroke, the piston acceleration is higher - therefore needing more timing lead.
Give me a min, and I'll post up a bit more info..

Ok, here is a graph for the 951 vs your first stroker (and Sids):

And here is the one for your upcoming motor:

As you can see, the added stroke (everything else remaining equal) increases the piston acceleration notably... This changes the necessary spark-lead, as the faster accelerating piston will be rising faster, essentially giving less "time" to build combustion pressure (obviously I'm simplifying some). In-fact, it might not be immediately obvious, but at the same crank-angle, the verticle position of the piston will be different in a stroker compared to factory...

Last edited by Rogue_Ant; 12-09-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Josh, are you seeing any signs of headlift or gasket issues on Sid's car?
Originally Posted by refresh951
I know you asked Josh but I can say with certainty that Sid has had no HG issues.
No HG issues on the stroker motor... we will see how long that lasts, but so far its done quite well - even under some very hard runs at the strip.

Originally Posted by refresh951
...and keeping CR lower. Not exactly sure what Sid's final CR was but IIRC it was just a little higher than stock.
Yes, the cylinder stabilization has undoubtedly helped. Sid's motor CR is just slightly over stock 8.3 or so, IIRC.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Absolutely; that and the quench setup.
With the added stroke, the piston acceleration is higher - therefore needing more timing lead.
Give me a min, and I'll post up a bit more info..

Ok, here is a graph for the 951 vs your first stroker (and Sids):
Great info, Thanks Joshua. Amazing the forces taking place.

Quick Reply: Raising compression