Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My car has developed a serious flat spot/falls on its face?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Head was totally rebuilt just a few years ago. Upgraded valves, springs, ported, polished, o-ringed and shaved. (I'd have to dig out the paperwork to remember exactly what compression it was shaved to, etc) At the same time a new timing belt and water pump was installed and a fresh set of lifters.

A fresher set of injectors was installed, new vacuum hoses and fittings, new plugs wires, new cap/rotor. Exhaust is custom from the header back. Tial 38MM wastegate, Magnaflow cat back, new cat. Running old Huntley Racing chips, but the car has always run well on them so no need to change them. MBC, piston style BPV.

Car sits most of the time but my wife does daily drive it in the summer for a 40 mile round trip to work 5 days a week.

I haven't had time to do any checking on any of the suggestions. I appreciate them but I'm elbow deep in a timing chain job on a Eurovan. So I'm piling up the suggestions so that I can dive into the 951 next.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Cole
Drifting

Thanks for all the suggestions. I drove the car for the last couple of days and 95% of the time it's running exactly as it should.

Occasionally and randomly I get the "gassy exhaust smell" and that is when it starts to stumble in second. Maybe a randomly sticky waste gate bleeding off pressure?

Aso tossed some sea foam in the fuel to see if that helps at all.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you still running the AFM? I've had AFMs stick... Coolant temp, and wiring can also cause issues.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Cole
Drifting

Yeah, still on the AFM.

Quick Reply: My car has developed a serious flat spot/falls on its face?!