Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

balance shaft sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012 | 08:00 PM
Doyle623
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default balance shaft sleeve

How tight should a new sleeve fit over the balance shaft? My old one has a small groove so I'm replacing it. The old one it tight but slides off. I have 2 new ones and both seem too tight to fit? (This is lower bs)
Old 11-05-2012 | 08:40 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did both of mine in the not too distant past. They fit differently, or should I say they felt different in that one slid fore and aft and the other spun left and right. I was very concerned and drove myself near crazy.
The consensus was then that they will tighten evenly when you tension the bolt over the pulley. I do not recall if the sleeves were different in size , however I do recall that the gaskets are minutely different.
I have no leaks, I do recall having to tap one on with a brass punch to get it started on the shaft. Do not forget the onion skin seals, and make sure you do have the correct size seals as they are different . I did have the same concern as my old ones slid straight off and the new ones or one of the new ones needed a bit of manipulation to get started.
Old 11-06-2012 | 12:46 AM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They shouoldn't need to be forced on, take some scotch brite and genlte clean the endof the balance shaft , also make sure that the balance shaft end is not deformed.
( u should beable to rotate them by hand ) dp951

Quick Reply: balance shaft sleeve