Help understanding MSD 6AL

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help understanding MSD 6AL

Hi,

I was interested in the vitesse Wasted-Spark until I found out that it's no longer available.

The reason why:
- smoother idle
- better throttle response
- it will increase power

I had fixed all the bit and pieces for the last year, and now I can say that my car is running much better with the Vitesse Maf Kit.

I still have some misfiring (on occasions, switching gears), and my idle is never perfect. Sometimes a bit too low, sometimes a bit too high, sometimes ok, but drops way too low and then goes up.

As I said, I fixed everything that could create this. (spark plug, wires, rotor, dist. cap, vacuums, grounds, tps, hoses, couplers, new pipes, new bov, new throttle body, thermostat, cleaning the motronic connection, etc.....),

And now I just believe that the car just runs like that with my set-up.

So I though getting the wasted spark would eliminate all does small annoying things.

Then after some research, I found this: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944COIL.html

It mentions that it helps all of the above : good

The only problem is that I did a lot of search about it, with no real results.

Is it good? Will it make my car run smoother? Is it easy to install?

Is there another alternative out there?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Stronger ignition is most helpful when you run high boost and have to close the spark plug gap to prevent WOT misses. I've used the 6A box and MSD coil and it works well, but I doubt it is going to cure an idle that isn't stable, etc. If your idle isn't staying within the factory spec, then something else is wrong. If you are just noticing that the idle tends to hunt a tiny bit, then that may just be the closed-loop system doing its job (and being more noticeable due to the open exhaust, bigger injectors, etc.). At any rate, if you opt for the MSD box, you can save a ton by buying it at Summit Racing ($214 v. $299) or similar speedshop.. Also, you can save even more by getting the standard 6A and using the rev limiter in the Vitesse piggyback...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

thanks for the info... I don't have the vitesse piggyback.

Other than the MSD 6AL kit that comes in the box, do I need anything else to install?

I've read threads mentioning a tach adapter... do we need this for our cars?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
thanks for the info... I don't have the vitesse piggyback.

Other than the MSD 6AL kit that comes in the box, do I need anything else to install?

I've read threads mentioning a tach adapter... do we need this for our cars?
No tach adapter needed. You need to run magecor or similar wires and an msd-friendly coil, and find a place to mount both, but otherwise installation is a snap - 2 wires to the battery, 2 wires to original coil wires (black is +), and 2 wires to the new coil. All the other wires can be pulled from the MSD harness...ezpz.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Thanks Tom,

this is great information. I'll give it a try.

Quick Reply: Help understanding MSD 6AL